SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where exactly is this valve located that makes the whooosh-psst niose with the open air filters?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if the dump valve is all the way over there, how does installing an open air filter make it so that that noise is louder?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The dump valve dumps the unused charge air back into the air intake, because the air box is removed therefore the noise insulation of the air box is also removed, hence the sound is louder.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SahhhB said:
But the air box is not near the dump valve, so how is it affecting the noise at all?
Removing the filter box etc removes the sound proofing thats all ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Chris is right and it is a lot of fun when you pass a couple of people in there "highly tuned" B?W´s and G~LF´s and chance gear WHIIIIIIIIISSSSS;)

EJ

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
SahhhB said:
But the air box is not near the dump valve, so how is it affecting the noise at all?
The dump valve dumps the unused charge air back into the air intake, because the air box is removed therefore the noise insulation of the air box is also removed, hence the sound is louder.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What would be the effect of the noise if you took off that big snorkel from the airbox that goes up to the grill?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
SahhhB said:
What would be the effect of the noise if you took off that big snorkel from the airbox that goes up to the grill?

Well you'd have a huge hole at the lowest part of the engine ready for the next puddle :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know this has been discussed at length, but can you safely run a open-intake? Has anyone been hassled by a SAAB dealer after doing this "mod"?Thinking about doing it....

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
How can a dealer 'hassle' you? Its your car, if you want to put a 6' plastic salmon on the roof you will. Its just one less thing they can bill you for in a service. :cheesy:

X

·
0 Posts
TexAero said:
I know this has been discussed at length, but can you safely run a open-intake? Has anyone been hassled by a SAAB dealer after doing this "mod"?Thinking about doing it....
Hi Texaero, many of the guys here run with open intakes without problems. If it is a warranty issue you are worried about then I would ask the dealer first.

Finn :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im confused now, kust got my JR open air filter kit, thought it was straight forward to replace, now i see this diagram, i thought i connect my new bit to part 10, but it what happens to parts 15 and 16.
Finally
Is it advisable to leave the snorkle in place?
Thanks adam

Chris 9-5 said:
Well you'd have a huge hole at the lowest part of the engine ready for the next puddle :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
a1damuk said:
Im confused now, kust got my JR open air filter kit, thought it was straight forward to replace, now i see this diagram, i thought i connect my new bit to part 10, but it what happens to parts 15 and 16.
Finally
Is it advisable to leave the snorkle in place?
Thanks adam
You are correct you connect your open air filter to the bottom of part 10 (using clip marked 12), the others are already attached to the other end of part 10 (not clear in the pic), so the filter becomes the end component. All the filter box and snorkel are disguarded ;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Okey dokey!

You will not need:

1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-11-13-14-20

You do need (and they are already connected together)

19-18-17-16-15-10-12

And a splash guard!

Notes

1. Item 16 is damned expensive & fragile
2. Access is from beneath the car and via the simple removal of the front indicator
3. Dont throw anything away just incase!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Chris 9-5 said:
1. Item 16 is damned expensiveQUOTE]
LOL I can imagine so! Thanks for the insight, gonna order me a K&N and give this a whirl!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Its on finally, I found that the JR kit came with a bracket on the 3" tubing, however with this attached to the bracket on the car the indicator would not go back in, so had to leave it loose.
I have to say £ per smile that is the best mod I have made.
;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts