SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the screws called for the engine cover (2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T)? and where can I purchase the wrenches to remove them? Also Whats size screws are used for the license plate brackets?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
They are torx screws and you'll need torx screwdrivers as well. It's a good idea to have a set of torx screwdrivers as most screws in the car are torx. You should be able to get them at any store that carries screwdrivers. They're not overly common but definitely common enough that you should not have trouble finding them.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Torx screws I believe and are to be loosened/tightend with a torx screwdriver. I picked a torx at Advanced Auto for like 8 dollars...

I'm not sure about the license plate though.

Welcome to SC. Good community here. There aren't too many dumb questions you can ask...

...Except, don't ask for a BOV and our wheel bolt pattern is 5x110. haha.

Good luck!

edit: sorry for the repeat...saabhutter beat me to it. ha

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I know I had a hell of a time finding the proper screws for my license plate. I'm no mechanic by any means, I don't keep a large supply of screws. There are a ton of people on here that have a vast amount of knowledge so don't be afraid to ask a question you may think is dumb.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
My car came with a black handle and interhchangeable torx/flat head drivers. Didn't everyone else's?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine didn't, just checked with the spare tire, but I ran to autozone and they hav a really nice display where you can check the width of your screws and I was able to find ones that fit my license plate cover and bracket perfectly even though they are metric.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Just a follow up - you might want to also buy a set of torx bits. I got some smallish ones at harbor freight that fit into a 1/4" socket. The screwdrivers are great for things that aren't in too tight - I find the screwdrivers are faster to use than a ratchet, BUT sometimes you run into something that's in pretty tight or an odd size that doesn't match your screwdrivers.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
But Harbor Freight will be 1/3 the price of Sears. The last time I was at Sears Hardware was to buy a 6" 1/2" extension - they wanted $10.99 or so. So I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 2' 1/2" breaker bar for $8.99 and the 6" extension for $2.00 or so. That was the last time I was at Sear - over two years ago... Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts