SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a question What is this and what does it do? And is it on every car or certian models?;oops: Let me clarify the photo. It is the Silver peice under the hose.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Is your arrow pointing at the black plastic pipe? :confused: I can't tell for sure. If yes, it is the delivery pipe; running from the Intercooler down at the front end up to the throttle body. It is where air comes into your engine after getting pressurized.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Presto said:
He was referring to the silver gizmo under the delivery pipe. It may be a Viggen part it is not on my 9-3.
Aah I got it; not sure what it is though, sorry. That picture is a 2.0 engine, not a 2.3L Viggen; But my car doesn't have that part on it either. Perhaps this picture is an autobox and that is something to do with the auto?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Some models have a vacuum pump driven by the exhaust cam. It is used to create vacuum for the brake servo.

The pump is attached the same way as the distributor shaft on the '94-98 2.3L non-turbo. Sort-of cool idea, I think.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Funny that some models would have this vacuum pump, but not others. I think some Aussie models have this pump as well..

It would be nice if this was a vacuum/pressure pump with an attachable hose long enough to reach the spare tire...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Yes, that's a vacuum pump for the brake.

Unlike NA engine, turbo charged engine does not produce vacuum in the intake manifold during boost so you need to create vacuum artificially. That way when you do brake the diaphram in the servo is ready to assist.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts