SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Econ mode means the system is running with the AC compressor off, thus saving you gas. Econ = Economy mode. I'm pretty sure the headlight wipers come on whenever you use the winshield washer spray.

G

·
I'm pretty sure the headlight wipers come on whenever you use the winshield washer spray.
If I remember correctly from my 2001 9-5, the headlight wipers and spray come on once every 10 times you use the windshield washer spray. I think it is in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Econ mode is really useful for longer trips. Once the interior temps have been reached, it recirculates the air within the cabin without using the compressor.:cool:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would not think the heater would use the AC compressor. I am pretty sure that when you are using heat, the ECON mode means it's not using the heating element. I guess it uses ambient heat from the engine bay somehow. The owner's manual explains this, I just don't remember what it says.

Headlight wipers come on when you spray the windshield for more than a certain length of time (like 2 or 3 seconds). How many times you spray the windshield has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I would not think the heater would use the AC compressor. I am pretty sure that when you are using heat, the ECON mode means it's not using the heating element. I guess it uses ambient heat from the engine bay somehow. The owner's manual explains this, I just don't remember what it says.

Headlight wipers come on when you spray the windshield for more than a certain length of time (like 2 or 3 seconds). How many times you spray the windshield has nothing to do with it.
isnt that how it works anyway? why would using the heater really cost you any gas mileage in the first place?

if anything i'd just think it helps to cool down the engine bay, i guess.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm pretty sure from what I read in my manual that econ mode means the ac compressor is off. I was under the impression the compressor is on all the time unless in econ mode. I suppose I could be wrong though. It's not the heater that is decreasing mileage, but the fact that the compressor is running. And having the compressor running while using heat is actually really advantageous while using the defroster as air being circulated with the compressor will have less moisture in it. A lot of people in my family drive Honda's and the compressor will come on any time defroster is selected.

I'm not sure how not using a heating element would translate to being more Economical. I guess we all should have a look in our manuals to see what is really going on. I know once I get home, I'll be looking in my manual. :D

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is straight from my 2001 manual:

The description for the function of the ECON button says, "A/C compressor: ON/OFF" and this is the function of Econ mode when Operation in AUTO mode after Programming II "The A/C compressor will not activate unless the outdoor temperature is above 55F (+13C) -This function saves fuel by delaying the activation of the A/C compressor. However, in wet weather it is advisable to have the A/C compressor running when outdoor temperatures are below 57F (+14C), as the A/C system reduces the likelihood of the windows' foggin up."

And this is in regard the Headlight Wipers: "The headlight wipers will operate at the same time as the windshield washers are activated."

I hope this clears some things up. As I said this is from the 2001 (I don't seem to have the manual for my 99), I suppose it is possible some things change from year to year.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My manual says the same thing as yours, Sean. I guess I misunderstood about the air compressor. I guess I wll quit turning ECON off when I want HEAT from now on.

And I was indeed wrong about the delay between the windshield wipers and the headlight wipers. I was convinced you had to hold it down for a couple seconds, but I just tested it in the garage, and there is no delay whatsoever. I am pretty sure I read that somewhere, but it's definitely not true.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts