SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My old 1998 9-3 Saab cabriolet had the DTE digital display how many miles left until literally the last mile. My new 2008 Saab cabriolet now when it gets low simply displays "refill now" (or something like that) which is not as useful. Does anyone know if this can be reprogrammed to behave like my old Saab and show miles until empty until the last mile?:confused:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My 2008 convertible has the DTE display.

Use the up/down arrows on the steering wheel to see if it's present in the dash display. Mine can be scrolled to at any time, but will automatically display itself when it gets to approx 30miles left. I have seen mine display refill now once when I ignored the DTE message.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stevedol but what I want is to get rid of the "refill now" message and simply only ever have a DTE mileage reading as per my old 1998 Saab - any ideas (anyone)

·
Registered
267 Posts
It usually says refill now when it gets down to about 10 miles, but I wouldn't rely on it too much. I know a guy that ran out with 14 miles on the DTE display.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Really, it's your car and money and time but why would you want to get rid of the final reminder before it's critical?

Is the car also displaying the miles left and has the warning message? :confused:

In any case you should never see this message because you are according to many on here and mechs I talked to, said that you are doing a lot of harm to the vehicle by routinely running the tank low. The only time I've ever heard that advocated was during the first gas crisis of the 70's and even Honda had a section in the manual to run on the least fuel possible to reduce weight. Of course this is also the policy of most airlines and forces pilots into some tight places of the flight envelope they never wanted to be.

You are also allowing moisture to build up in the tank that will affect the entire fuel system. A tank that has a large air space is ripe for condensation on the tank walls that collects in the bottom.

There are many on this forum who really say that the newer design of immersed fuel pumps that demand higher volumes, if run in an empty tank, will lead to failure through overheating. I was never aware of this since I did most of my wrenching on electric pumps that were mounted on the "trunk" or firewall and were not down in the fuel.

Also, on both our 09 and 08 cars there is a lot of variation in the miles shown left and the actual. My Aero with the 2.8 engine usually will read "340" or "360" when I fill it but this puppy has never made it past the 300 mark which used to be the SAE standard for fuel quantity. The Society of Automotive Engineers set that as the minimum tank size and economy a car could possibly achieve and though not "rule of law" was pretty close to it (perhaps in a tort claim). A few times I would get pizzed at the curve Saab used in it's calculations. I would leave home and drive 5 miles with a "fat" quarter tank and about a mile past the last gas for 30 miles, at the 6 mile mark the warning would come on. That translated into the car having an average range of 280 miles and was surely never the "340" on the display.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To stick straight to the question... I don't think there's anyway to change it.

As I'm sure you know, it will show miles till empty manually by going to it through the menu then automatically brings it up once you hit 30 miles to empty.

Once you hit about 10 miles it switches to the refill now message and as far as I know there's no way to see exact miles once it hits that point.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I ran out once showing 43 miles DTE. I've since started filling up no later than 1/4.

·
Registered
267 Posts
DTE is based on the avg mpg, which can be inaccurate. If you reset your mpg and get way lower or higher numbers, you'll notice the DTE change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi TunnanXWD - I'm not intending to let petrol get low, but last week it did, and while driving to the petrol station having "refill now" displayed was much more nerve racking and far less use than a display of say "3 miles to empty then 2 miles to empty, etc, etc" which my old Saab 9-3 would have done

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi TurboX-MN - your comment noted with thanks that you don't think there is anyway to change it, but shame for me (for the reason in my reply a few seconds ago to TunnanXWD).

If anyone knows 100% whether or not Tech 2 can change it then would be grateful to hear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts