SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 89T vert, had a chance to drive it the other day after some rear brake work and putting on different rims and tires. While driving I noticed (among other things) a vibration best described as a drum roll frequency, variable with speed. The LH CV axle has been replaced recently, and this has pattern cut rotors on the front. Since I have enogh bad control arm bushings in the fleet, I do not receive the thuds that that condidtion produces. Would like opinions on most likely issues. My list in order is as follows:
1. Balance
2. Wheel bearing
3. Something I am not seeing or considering for some reason.

Any insights or areas to look at would be appreciated. Note: same vehicle has what feels to be a "dead spot" in the power steering rack. Requires more force to come up to half turn out of center left or right than from that point to lock.

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
You didn't mention which corner the sound seems to come from.
Does it change with Brake application? If so, with Parking Brake only?
Fast drum roll or slow?
One of your "different rims" may be contacting a Brake Caliper.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Jim- Thought I had id'd the vibe as coming from the drivers front, and rims are from a 9000 (I did not make that clear) I do know that the rotor is slightly warped on that side, a rythmic roll that increases and decreases tempo with speed, but the pattern of the roll remains consistent. The vibe from the warped rotor only shows up during brake application. Braking only slows down the roll as speed drops off, and picks up again with speed. Sound like the knuckle bearing going bad?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bearings don't sound like that, tires sometimes do.
Put the old wheels back on and see what happens.
Old tires are thoroughly toast, both fronts were into belts and the drivers side was missing a 6inX18in piece of belt. However, might try another set of tires when I get these change this payday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts