SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just picked up my 1991 900 16v - fantastic condition one owner from new but as he got older he didn’t use it much toward the end. Service book shows service / oil change from new every yet up to 144000km in 2009 but then the car wasn’t used much - it’s now at 153000km and of course I’m doing an oil change - but it looks like the old guy just covered 9000km in 10 years but it was on the same oil from 2009 all that time. I’m little concerned if I should expect any problems with the engine running on that oil that was so old.amy thanks . Troy

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
in some of the old cars people hardly chnaged there oil till is was almost treacle just kept topping it up, oil will degenerate with carbon fuel emissions, getting into it, but if he only drove it (k in 10 years he probably never pushed it hard either. might pay to pout a gallon of flushing oil through it, drive it 10 miles carefully(as thinner than normal oil) to get it through, then change it, then you will have got almost all, if not all of the crap out the system. There was a video of You tube I think many years ago of someone draining the oil out of a car and it was like treacle, whether it was genuine or not I can't remeber, but wouldn't be suprised, as people just didn't change their oil;oops::evil:and then wondered why it broke down etc My Father in law got a new cqar in 1979, and came to visit us one wk end(120miles), and said it ran like a pig once the got halfway(had to slow down). Checked his plugs and they were champion N9Y's (fitted in almost everything at the time)and were between 56-58 thou, should be 25thou, car had done 19k miles, and he wondered why it didn't run well, ;oops:. It had been and had it's service/oil change at 5k, but that was it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts