SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following Wulfer's picture help on dropping the sump along with my Haynes manual. I have reached the impossible step. I've tried and tried to raise my motor and the whole car raises not just the motor so I can not get the space to pull out the pan. The pan is loose but there is not room to get it out past the pipe I can feel inside the pan.

Did you take the motor mounts loose? I have my jack under the transmission but I am raising the car, so any suggestions?

Also my exhaust has a big double hanger with rubber attachments on a cross member in front of the flexible section. I do not have the exhaust mount at the back of the pan. Do I need to take that hanger loose. It seems if I could raise the motor that there would be enough room to get the pan out. It is only stuck on the pipe coming down on the inside the oil pan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
reply from pab95

pab95 sent a reply to my question. He suggested that I remove the transmission bolt at the front to let the motor move. I am hoping that is the answer and will try it in the morning. I am always open to anything else I might have missed. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I have a 1999 also and have yet to try this myself.

One thought: My haynes suggests that you lever the engine to the left of the vehicle rather than raising it. Could be lies but it may be worth looking.

G

·
I misunderstood your email earlier. If the pan already cleared the frame, jacking up the engine won't help clearing the exhaust pipe. I had to slide off the rubber exhaust mount to get a bit more clearance as well. I also had to bend the flexible part of the pipe a bit but be careful not to bend it too far.

Good luck, it's possible but not easy for sure.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
I just did this a week ago and found that raising the engine wasn't needed. Once he down pipe was lowered I had plenty of room to work with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts