SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My SAAB has been through several gas tanks. Most of those were with its first owner. The latest tank though I paid for. The parts shop smoked it and found a crack on the top. Reading on this board I suppose that's common.

Since having the last tank put in it's begun to develop that gas smell again. The CEL is confirming my nose with an emissions code. (I'm fairly certain it's not the purge valve because the smell is coming from the rear of the car)

I don't want to put in another tank just to have it crack again. My dad suggested dropping the tank instead and patching it with some aviation epoxy he has in the hanger. I'm cheap, so that sounds great to me. I'm just not sure how difficult it is to actually do that.

Does anyone have experience replacing the fuel tank?

I know there's an access hatch under the rear seat (and it smells!). Is there anyway to reach more of the top of the tank without dropping it?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
nengland said:
Reading on this board I suppose that's common.
I havent read of anyone needing a new fuel tank - it's certainly NOT common :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nope, me also. I just replaced my entire fuel system actually. The top of my gas tank completely split, I had been driving with the CEL for vapor emissions for a couple months, then my fuel pump completely gave up while I was up at a mountain peak at midnight (worst time and place EVER!). I decided to source everything brand new. New fuel tank, new pump and assembly, new fuel filter. Then when I got it running right again, I put in a Stage III chip. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts