SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it was a pain to get the old one out, but once i got the rust gone, it broke free easily...

Now putting it back in, I got the nut to thread on a bit, then the ball just started turning.

Whats the solution, I cant get it threaded all the way. I tried using a C-clamp to put a load on the ball so it wont spin and it worked for a bit, but now it needs about 2 full turns and I cant get it to budge anymore, ball just keeps spinning.

Ideas? I know ppl have changed this before, so I know its happened

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need to use a second spanner to hold the unit while you screw the nut on. Insert a spanner (usually a 17) between the ball and the plate on the car, i.e. the opposite side from the nut, its a tight fit but it will go in. The bit you want to engage with is usually just two flat sides so you will need to try a couple of times before the spanner engages. Once it does its a piece of cake.

There are also some drop links which have an allen key hole on the shaft on the nut side, then you just hold the shaft with that.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You need to use a second spanner to hold the unit while you screw the nut on. Insert a spanner (usually a 17) between the ball and the plate on the car, i.e. the opposite side from the nut, its a tight fit but it will go in. The bit you want to engage with is usually just two flat sides so you will need to try a couple of times before the spanner engages. Once it does its a piece of cake.

There are also some drop links which have an allen key hole on the shaft on the nut side, then you just hold the shaft with that.
ya i found that on the ones i was taking off, but on the new ones, where I used the wrench on the old ones its covered by the rubber shoe/boot holding the grease in the ball.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mainly was afraid to damage the boot by applying the wrench there. but when i get home today, I will inspect it and see if I can lock a wrench over it or not

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Go to a Bicycle Shop. Get a 17mm cone wrench designed for bicycle gear sets (I think). They are ultra-thin, basically stamped from heavy sheet steel rather than cast or drop forged like automotive wrenches.

If you lived near me you could borrow mine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ridiulous. The meyle web site said its designed for a 16mm wrench and there's no groove there for a wrench, its just round.

Then right in front of me I see the allen slot right on the head of the threads. Which I thought was weird cuz you can't use a socket since the allen is off the end. But the close end of the 18mm wrench did the job with baby turns.

Job complete and feel like an idiot for not seeing the allen slot in the 1st place. Now when I get my sas sway bar and suspension it'll come off and back on a lot quicker

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ridiulous. The meyle web site said its designed for a 16mm wrench and there's no groove there for a wrench, its just round.

Then right in front of me I see the allen slot right on the head of the threads. Which I thought was weird cuz you can't use a socket since the allen is off the end. But the close end of the 18mm wrench did the job with baby turns.

Job complete and feel like an idiot for not seeing the allen slot in the 1st place. Now when I get my sas sway bar and suspension it'll come off and back on a lot quicker
wow, thought that post was under this User Name... had to make this name because I couldnt access that account anymore. all the sudden use a computer at my moms house and for some reason it was still logged on to that name, wierd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts