SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just about t-boned an elderly driver who pulled out from a stop sign in front of me on a flat straight country road in full daylight on Sunday. Maybe if I had my lights on he would have seen me. (Doubtful, he seemed oblivious.) But why not convert for safety's sake I say.

My 84 has no DRL's, but is it the switch or the headlight relay that I need to swap out to convert it to DRL's. I'm thinking it's the switch... Just need to know what part to look for in my boxes and boxes of stuff!

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Well Jet, I run with DRLs (headlights) all the time. Always have done. Even on my early Saabs ('79-80). I subscribe to the argument that people can see you better. Seems in your case this may have been an advantage. Can't believe your US or Canadian wiring harnesses are any different to our UK ones. All you need to do is put a fuse in the DRL fuse position. I believe everything else is the same. That way the dipped headlights come on and off with ignition.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
the main problem with DLR lights is that the sidelights get very hot during the day,(as usually more time driving in daylight than at night, and warmer temps during day... except winter)) as the 'light' is the brighter unit of the two eg same as the the brake light on the rear twin filament unit, so generates more heat and this used to knock the chrome out on side light on the flat front models, hence most pulling the fuses, but also it means the dash lights are on , which again generating heat and burning some of the dash board light holders out so you could not fit a bulb holder in the hole as nothing to fix too... I had to wire a buulb in place on the dash to read the clocks at night till I fitted a replacement speedo/dash unit
I do agree with having then on, but I usully put mine on in any lowish light or if raining even lightly they go on, as believe in the recomendation if you need your wipers on, have your headlights on;ol;

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I just about t-boned an elderly driver who pulled out from a stop sign in front of me on a flat straight country road in full daylight on Sunday. Maybe if I had my lights on he would have seen me. (Doubtful, he seemed oblivious.) But why not convert for safety's sake I say.

My 84 has no DRL's, but is it the switch or the headlight relay that I need to swap out to convert it to DRL's. I'm thinking it's the switch... Just need to know what part to look for in my boxes and boxes of stuff!
Thesaabsite shows relay number 9556390 for '87-'94 900s. Nothing shown for '84 that I could see but maybe the -390 will work.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Older Drivers

I just finished the AARP safe driver course. Seems that the most common accident for older drivers is getting hit in the side due to pulling out in front of other drivers. Older drivers do not yield the right of way as they should. They don't do this maliciously but it is a part of the aging process. So, it behooves all you younger drivers to look out for old guys like me to avoid wrecking your C900's. Glad you were able to avoid the accident.

PS: The AARP course hits hard that there comes a time for older drivers to hang up their keys. I'm not there yet but have come to realize that I must be more careful as I am not as good a driver as I think I was when younger. Watch out for me!

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Glad you're OK Jetman. What I find is that a lot of times, drivers who drive slow cannot judge the speed of oncoming traffic because they have lost their reference for it. Age does play into it but I see it here in the city all the time with slowpokes.

And sometimes, even when you are prepared for everything...shizzle happens. I know. So be careful out there...and wear your seatbelt.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the car is imported from Germany, but before Canada had DRL regulations, so who knows. The good thing is that I have everything I need to convert it over, I just need to know what I'm looking for.

From a distance when I saw him even look to pull out I just hammered the brakes on and literally came to a dead stop 20 ft short of him. He finished pulling across and then drove by me without even seeming to recognize I was there or had just braked so hard for him. But that's ok, we all have to look out for each other.

Sunday was a nutty day on the roads, we saw all kinds of scary things and were thankful to make it home alive and throw the keys on the counter for the day.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well Jet, I run with DRLs (headlights) all the time. Always have done. Even on my early Saabs ('79-80). I subscribe to the argument that people can see you better. Seems in your case this may have been an advantage. Can't believe your US or Canadian wiring harnesses are any different to our UK ones. All you need to do is put a fuse in the DRL fuse position. I believe everything else is the same. That way the dipped headlights come on and off with ignition.
Well... I put a relay in the DTRL socket and a fuse in its place and have no joy... Must be a harness/switch difference as well. The fuse and relay sockets are wired, but I haven't gone any farther downstream yet.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
I don't think '84s were equipped for DRLs, there's a service bulletin for converting later cars.
But why not just leave the headlight switch turned on?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I don't think '84s were equipped for DRLs, there's a service bulletin for converting later cars.
I think DRLs don't include things like firing up the dash & instrument lighting, registration plate lights? At least the car I drove in Europe didn't...

·
Registered
664 Posts
Because my brain doesn't work like yours Jim... I'd park the car and leave the lights on. I know the headlights go off when you turn the ignition off, but the rest stay on and.... Yeah... Bad idea. BTW... Do the DRLs go off when you put the car in park??? If so, I did not do a thorough test of the system... They probably work fine and now it'll drive me crazy til I get home...

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
I know the headlights go off when you turn the ignition off, but the rest stay on and....
If your car does that you should fix it.
Parking Lights would stay on of the switch were in that position, but in most States, it's illegal to drive with just Parking Lights; they're supposed to indicate that you're parked.
Leave the switch on the headlight position and everything turns off (or should).

·
Registered
664 Posts
If your car does that you should fix it.
Parking Lights would stay on of the switch were in that position, but in most States, it's illegal to drive with just Parking Lights; they're supposed to indicate that you're parked.
Leave the switch on the headlight position and everything turns off (or should).
Well then... Something else to check when I get home.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well both my '93 and '94 does all of those with DRL.
Sorry, I wasn't referring to c900s. I was referring to newer cars I used to drive in Finland, where DRLs are required.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
I just leave mine on all the time as well...it's something that seems to be very Saab (or maybe it's just old cars): it makes sense to shut the headlights off when the ignition goes out! That way you can leave them on all the time as DRLs and not worry about draining your battery! Whoever thought it was important to leave the lights on when the alternator isn't charging the battery!? If you ask me, the convenience of a night-time beachball game isn't as important as the risk of leaving you stranded due to a drained battery. Seems every modern car does this now.

Since our instrument clusters are printed instead of back-lit, leaving them on with the headlights during the day doesn't diminish visibility at all.

li Arc

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
If you do that, when you flash other cars for a warning or acknowledgement or some other reason, the lights will stay on main beam unless you flash again to dip them. Potential dazzle hazard here if you forget. With DRL headlights they will return to dip automatically after you flash.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts