SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, off to Italy on Friday for a weeks driving fun. What do I need to do. I think I need:

GB sticker or Euro plates
Reflective vest
First Aid kit
Warning triangle

I have also read I need headlamp converters, but will these work with Xenons? The garage suggested I wind the Xenon beam down to the lowest setting for driving on the continent, is that ALL I need to do?

Anyone driven their UK 9-3 in Europe and what did you use?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
Can't help on the lights, someone else will.
Have a good trip, enjoy the drive and if you pass by Paris
Stop for a beer.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi!

So first of all....

No...there are no headlamp converters as there were for the old head-lamps where you taped a part of the glas so that it won't blind the traffic. Xenons and the non-Xenon-DE-Lights in the 9-3 are projector lamps, wich means the regulate the light output and the the beam in the lens and the lamp body. That's why the bi-Xenons "open the shutter" when going on high-beam and close the shutter when going to normal beam. So...nop...no way to tape the lamp.

Also if you have the Bi-Xenons you can't adjust the light or wind it down as the Xenon are controlled automatically. If you have a switch on the side (in uk the right-hand side from the steering wheel) next to the light controls where you can adjust the leveling of the headlight then you have no Xenon. In this case you have the "normal" so called DE-Light (i think thats what they are called - these are normal halogen lights but also with projector technique init).

What you have to do is look in the manual. There is a swicht at the head-light housoing where you can switch the headlight from left-hand traffic to right-hand traffic and the other way round. You manually set the projector of the head-lamps to point to the right or left. Check it out - it's stated in the manual. So no mor taping and blinding the traffic.

Have a nice stay in italy and remember the traffic speed limits! The italian police can be quite hard in getting their money!! ;) But it's a beautifull country.

Good driving! If you still have troubles finding the switch give me an info, I will then have a look for this thing and will try to help.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BlackSaab said:
Also if you have the Bi-Xenons you can't adjust the light or wind it down as the Xenon are controlled automatically. If you have a switch on the side (in uk the right-hand side from the steering wheel) next to the light controls where you can adjust the leveling of the headlight then you have no Xenon. In this case you have the "normal" so called DE-Light (i think thats what they are called - these are normal halogen lights but also with projector technique init).

What you have to do is look in the manual. There is a swicht at the head-light housoing where you can switch the headlight from left-hand traffic to right-hand traffic and the other way round. You manually set the projector of the head-lamps to point to the right or left. Check it out - it's stated in the manual. So no mor taping and blinding the traffic.

Have a nice stay in italy and remember the traffic speed limits! The italian police can be quite hard in getting their money!! ;) But it's a beautifull country.

Good driving! If you still have troubles finding the switch give me an info, I will then have a look for this thing and will try to help.
I asked the dealer and got the response that I should turn an allen key on top of the light unit to dip them down - it sounded wrong at the time - I'll take the radical step of checking the handbook. They are definitely XENON lights - and have the auto levelling system.

Thanks for your response. I am aware of the Italian police being tough on speeders, I am planning on sitting around 90 - 95 mph, depending on the speed of the local traffic. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Italian police being tough on speeders, I am planning on sitting around 90 - 95 mph
pretty funny when I read this as 90-95mph in the US could possibly get you a night in jail.

always the one thing I enjoy about driving in some parts of Europe is the ability to drive quickly without worrying about if I'm breaking any laws.

Jaime

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just came back from a two week vacation this past Sunday, wish i was still there! Go with the flow of traffic and remember to stay in the right lane when traveling and use the left lane ONLY when passing! Don't know how many times i forgot and got caught with a car riding up my *** flashing his high beams to get out of the way! As for tickets, who knows...Carabinieri hide on the side of the road (side roads that is) and hold a stick with a red circle on one side and a green circle on the other. You see red, you pull over! My question is, where's the radar gun??? How in hell do they know how fast you're going??? Oh well, have fun and be safe. You touring all over or just a specific spot?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skye2000 said:
You touring all over or just a specific spot?
We (five blokes) have hired a villa in the Barolo wine region overlooking the lakes in the North of Italy. We will probably have a couple of trips out, but unfortunately it is only for a week. I guess we'll get across to Venice (nice for a day out) and possibly Turin (for the car manufacturers). Milan is fairly close to where we are staying but I don't think I am bothered about seeing Milan.

Thanks for the information on the red and green stick. I will keep my eyes peeled.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I had the same query a few weeks months back getting ready for a holiday in France. The handbook is right, there is a slide in the back of both main headlights that you just push down for the correct beam pattern for right hand drive. However, getting to the levers to move them is very difficult, especially the one behind the battery. Just pull the rubber covers off and stick your fingers in !! It saves messing around with tape and works perfectly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all - p198 of the handbook lists the way to adjust for Xenon lights - LHD to RHD and vice-versa. I'll try it tonight before I go.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Aero_adam said:
Thanks all - p198 of the handbook lists the way to adjust for Xenon lights - LHD to RHD and vice-versa. I'll try it tonight before I go.

quick question, is this switching the beam pattern from \__\__ to __/__/ ?

any idea if such switch is applicable to all headlight housing, including the US one.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeap, that's the switch that "switches" the beam pattern of the head light from right to left and the other way round. It normaly should be in every Bi-Xenon Headlamp System as you can't "tape" them for other side traffic.

So, check your manual - it's stated there. In germany it's mentioned under the section about "Driving a long trip e.g. holidays and the precausions you should do befor starting the journey".

So check it out. But only switch it to the other side when you're in a country that drives on the wrong side (like the english people ;) *just a joke* - no offence Aero_Adam - I love GB!! :lol: :cheesy: . Otherwise you will be blinding the traffic - that's a bad thing espacially if you blind them with the bright Xenons. :nono;

1 - 11 of 11 Posts