SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a couple questions for you fellas:

I've got a whining noise that gets louder and/or changes pitch depending on speed and load on the system. Seems to be coming from the left side of the car, but it's kind of hard to tell. I'm curious as to what this may be and what I should expect. My brain is telling me it's transmission noise, which also scares me a bit, but the transmission seems to operate fine and last time it was in the shop they said the fluid level is fine. Is there something I should look for?

Also, I seem to have a lot of slop in my drive train. It seems to have gotten worse over time and now in the morning, when my clutch is a little grabby, the grab is a bit violent at times. My mounts seem to be okay, so I can only assume I have some play elsewhere in my system.

Could both of these issues be a CV issue? I'm not very familiar with how failing CV's operate, so I figured I'd ask! :cool:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
subscribed. i too have always felt the 9-5 transmission was rather sloppy, the shifts just dont feel "definite" if you know what i mean. It's like the car kind of slowly eases into gear.

getting the clutch just right is sometimes a pain too. i sware the point where i'll start to catch is different every time i try to take off. I'll likely be due for a new clutch soon anyway.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Haha. We all have our little complaints about the transmission. I've never driven any other MT car, besides my friends' 900 and 9000, and I far prefer mine to his. Even though the shifts don't feel "definite" you can properly feel the synchros working. At least, that's what I think it is. I also shift like a grandma, most of the time.

Slop comes with having an older car. When I flushed my MT fluid a few months ago, I swore I heard lower noise, felt smoother shifts, and saw less shift lever rattle in-gear. I don't know how long those effects lasted, though. It seems to feel the same as before, which wasn't bad to begin with. Your situation sounds worse than mine, so it may be another issue as you say. Good luck

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had my clutch replaced last week with the slave cylinder as well. The car drives so much better and the clutch is twice as easy to depress and you don't have to finesse each shift. Massive difference. I also had the subframe bushes replaced and the car feels solid and almost new again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts