SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to remove the driveshafts on a 2002 9-3 hatchback , i havent the 'special tool' which the wis says i apparently need so i'm wondering whether they'll just pull out with brute force ... ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't speak for your specific model but I have a 1999 9-3 parts car with an automatic trans that I was able to remove the left shaft with brute tug/pull but could not get the right intermediate shaft removed. On my 2000 9-3 convertible both came out very easily, also an automatic transmission.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
They should just pull out. But you may also need to give them a "gentle" tap with a hammer to help break the seal loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the help cheers fellas , i have to change the slave cylinder so need to push the gearbox back , hoping just to need to pull the one shaft out so i can move the gearbox back enough to get the cylinder in ;ol;

·
Registered
140 Posts
The shafts have an external clip which engages in a groove in the transmission. They can be hell to remove. Don't use a pry-bar against the transmission as you run the risk of cracking the transmission casing.

The method I used was a heavy duty ratcheting tie-down and an large eye-bolt in the wall of my shop. Anything good and heavy, tree- another car's bumper, etc will work. Just wrap the strap around the axle a few times and over it's self and start ratcheting away. After a bit you'll hear a "bonk" and it'll be out.

Also don't forget that the intermediate shaft is retained into the bearing/support bracket with a large-ish external ring clip. Your going to need a hoss set of snap-ring pliers to remove it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts