SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2.3 5 speed. i've read every thread i can find on the driveshafts and do not see my layout. i rebuilt the clutch and could not get the driveshaft (drivers side) out so i left it in and removed at the wheel hub. i now have a leak at the tranny seal and movement at the axle housing. the axle seperated when i tried the hammer pull method to get it to come out of the tranny. my axle has no tri-pod bearing but 5 ball bearings that go around a swirled shaped axle end. how the hell do they go back together? it seems impossible. from what i have read the play on the inner metal boot could be a bad inner bearing inside the tranny and i am wondering if this is what is keeping the axle from coming out? i now have an axle end that won't come out of the tranny and an axle i can't figure out how to get back together. all help is welcome!!! thanks.............. i spent 5 hrs using heavy greas to get the balls to stay in the housing but the shaped spireling end keeps knocking them out. i'm wondering if a previous owner used an older or newer model axle and beat the damn thing into the tranny???????

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
A very steady hand and great perseverance are necessary to replace the little roller bearings into their cup ( the tripod end).

I use a heavy or sticky grease, still this is a task to avoid...
There may be some damage - somewhere - hard to fathom how this could happen.
A snap-ring is used to retain the axle shaft , often this is replaced when the area is exposed - I guess these can break.
But if this happened, then the axle is free for an easy removal.....

BTW, you are talking about the CV joint with its balls and a swirl ball raceway..
These are the outer joints....
Reassembling the CV joint requires expertise and special training - this I had 30 years ago at VW's general repair training....Only the ace mechanic would disassemble a CV joint, IMO, surely not I..

The play and the leak..
The joint is not in all the way - maybe the click or snap of the snap-ring can be heard when the shaft is "home"..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi earthworm, thanks for the reply. yes i am talking about the 5 balls and the swirled pathway. inside the metal cup and yes its on the inside , next to the tranny. there is a shaft inside the tranny connected to a metal boot which won't come all the way out. i had it out almost an inch and could get prybars behind it and all my strenth , even punching it with my feet and rocking the whole car would not loosen it any more. here are some pics. this car was bought from a guy who bought it at one of the dealers here in denver. is it possible they could have re-rigged the shafts??

Attachments

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
SAMESAABSTORY said:
hi earthworm, thanks for the reply. yes i am talking about the 5 balls and the swirled pathway. inside the metal cup and yes its on the inside , next to the tranny. there is a shaft inside the tranny connected to a metal boot all the Saab axle boots(gaiters in UK) are a rubber compound... which won't come all the way out. i had it out almost an inch and could get prybars behind it and all my strenth , even punching it with my feet and rocking the whole car would not loosen it any more. here are some pics. this car was bought from a guy who bought it at one of the dealers here in denver. is it possible they could have re-rigged the shafts?? Highly unlikely, and why would this be done ? [/QUOTE]
A mystery indeed.

1st pic...entire axle assembly , is this the original ?
2nd pic...LS inner driver
3rd pic....outer CV with the speed sensor
4th pic....the outer joint minus the balls and cage..

My '96 uses the tripod inner joint, maybe this has been changed with the 9-3 NG models and the parts are retro-interchangible ???

From what I can remember - place the "reciever" end in a vise.
**** the ball cage about 90 degrees to the reciever and place into its path one ball at a time, jiggling the assembly....
Try this, but, I cannot remember ever doing this.
When the CV joint is disassemled, one can clean up up everything and examine the highly machined surfaces, this applies to the older VW CVs..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
earthworm, you have described everything correctly except 4th pic is the inner joint that goes into that cup. it must be rebuit somehow as i have looked up the parts online and every shaft i pull up has an inner tri-pod bearring and cup and not this insane configuration. the reciever end won't come out ( 2nd pic) that holds the "cage" so putting it on a vice is out unless i can get it out of the tranny. it won't budge. i wish the hell i never touched it but i followed to the tee the instructions here on removing the tranny to do a clutch job. i had no trouble with that other than trying to get out the axle as instructed. the clutch works great but after beating to death the axle i ruined the tranny seal and now it won't hold the gear oil so that is why i had it apart again. when i touch the cup in 2nd pic it moves slightly up and down. could this be a retrofit where they weld this axle over part of the origional tri cuped inner metal boot. that is the only thing i can think of. the part number on the axle says "44 83 574 saab" and now that i have most of it out it looks newer and in really good shape. i'm stumped..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts