SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
non-turbo 5 speed
hello all, recently followed a few threads here to replace the clutch. all in all, although tedious, i was able to get her done. Unfortunately i could not get the drive axle seperated from the tranny and decided to lower the vehicle and pull off the hub nut and remove the tranny with axle intact. i tried to tap back in the retaining seal as best i could. now thats it back together (of course) and the gear oil filled i am getting a leak out of the seal. i've read tread after tread but am confused on something. does this seal actually hold in the axle? or just the oil? i've read to get the axle out it should just slide out after the clip is popped out. i've also read that you have to remove the bolts around the axle housing that hold in the seal?? now that's it all back together i can move the inner boot up and down too and i get a loud banging noise when moving the car back and forth. have i ruined the inner tri-pod berring when trying to "hammer pull" it out or is it possible that the axle is not seated all the way back into the tranny housing ? i am going to pull it apart today so any and all advise would be welcome! thanks ......my car less college daughter is up my as* to get her ride back. i have the new seal i bought at IPW for $8.00 and the boots all look new as if they have been rebuilt or replaced recently. 115k miles.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The side seal only protects the transmission against fluid loss.

Which side axle are we discussing, left or right ?

I had to use extrordinary strength and many attempts to use two rather small pry bars together to "pop" the left side driver.... the boot had a little cut which I had to repair.

The "pop" is the axle retaining clip loosing its death grip on the transmissions inner workings..

And the original seals still do not leak...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm Talking About The Drivers Side. What Is The Axle Retaining Clip? Does The Tranny Seal Have To Come Out Then To Get The Axle Out Or Does It Just Slide Right Through It? Does The Seal Housing Have To Be Taken Out And The Seal Pressed In Or Can You Just Push A New Seal Back Into The Tranny?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts