SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been experiancing some excessive slack in the drivetrain for a while and just chalked it up to the tranny pinon going and whatnot.

However as I was under it the other day trying to tighten up the rack, which didn't work by the way, I grabbed the cuff/driver and wiggled it back and forth to see how much slack it had in it. It has quite a bit, you can really clunk it back and forth without the axle moving.

I looked on eeuroparts and couldn't find them listed though, and the saabsite wants more than I'm willing to put in to the car, heck, they want more than I paid for the car, and quite frankly, even though I've fixed so many things and replaced so many parts on this car that I'm thinking of repainting it and replacing the interior and making it a permenent addition to the fleet, its really just not that nice of a car. :roll: (I'm sorry Blue). To top it all off its not a turbo. :eek:

It's been a really fun car though, I've never had a car that had so many little fixable issues. I was constantly working on some part. It spread things out to the point were you could address the problems though, like clockwork, it always had something that needed to be fixed, and like clockwork I always fixed it, and it was kind of fun in the aspect that it never really overwhelmed you, and it was kind of fun to always be working on the car on the weekends, but really, after a while, that does get old. ;)

I've replaced the harmonic balancer, the oil pump seal, the front main seal, the brakes, the brake rotors, the shock bushings, all the the ball joints, the alt mounts, the bracket mount, the water pump, the belts, twice or thrice, vacuum lines, thermostat, etc, etc, and so on and so forth, I'd have to look up my eeuroparts account to see what else I've done to it. See the pattern though? Never any major issues, just little fun jobs.

It's been a great car.

$600-700 for drivers though? :eek:

And why does a car with only 130ishK miles on it have worn out drivers? :confused:

Do you have to reset your rear end if you replace the drivers?

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Reset your rear end?

I had them replaced before and it was no big deal. Replace only one at a time so you diff does not fall down. I had my 89' T16 inner drivers replaced with no issues. You can also swap them as a temp measure, like put the right side on the left side and vice versa. put a broomstick in the side because yes at one point both will need to be out.

If your suspension had ever been loose it can stress the crud out of them and I would think and wear them poorly. Like remember when you had you A-arms all loose?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woywitka said:
Reset your rear end?

I had them replaced before and it was no big deal. Replace only one at a time so you diff does not fall down. I had my 89' T16 inner drivers replaced with no issues. You can also swap them as a temp measure, like put the right side on the left side and vice versa. put a broomstick in the side because yes at one point both will need to be out.

If your suspension had ever been loose it can stress the crud out of them and I would think and wear them poorly. Like remember when you had you A-arms all loose?
Like I'd ever forget the car jumping several feet sideways after I hit a bump on the highway going 70. :roll: Yes, I remember, that was fun. :D

If you change the setting on the drivers you can get the whine from hell due to it driving in a different place that its worn in.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Wait, so it's just the cups are worn? Why not call goldwing or some big online junkyard and just get a used one, or pull something from a junkyard? I wouldn't flip sides, but that's just the recovering german in me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Matt88S said:
Like I'd ever forget the car jumping several feet sideways after I hit a bump on the highway going 70. :roll: Yes, I remember, that was fun. :D

If you change the setting on the drivers you can get the whine from hell due to it driving in a different place that its worn in.
Matt88S, don't worry about that. I think what you're talking about is if you start playing around with the pinion bearing. That's way inside the trans. If you're sure the problem is the cups, switch them. I'm not sure the best way to do this without the trans out. I'm sure someone does though. So, you pull the inner drivers and replace the bearings and seals that are inside. You have to switch housings because one of them has a hole for the speedometer cable. You can do this yourself with no special tools.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts