SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears a cable of some sort broke. A dinky looking little thing too. :confused: Anyone tried to apply rainx in the rain? It doesn't work so well. :p

Anyhow, I looked on eeuroparts.com and thesaabsite. eeuroparts.com didn't even have a listing, but thesaabsite had the cable listed as obsolete.

So my question is, do I throw the car away now? :eek:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Cable is unavailable, but you can get a used wiper mechanism from a breaker. The machanism will include the cable. It's is easy to fit (4 bolts) and may even come with a wiper motor if you are lucky.

Dan.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Or you do the roadside fix and remove the right wiper arm and re-install it up 10 degrees or so , then it will reach (kind-of) the left side. :lol:

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, seeing how Saabs are as rare as hen's teeth around these parts, the breaker idea is not going to work, seeing how there are none around here if one does show up at the breakers it is sent to the crushers right away, no point in keeping it around as there is no demand for the parts.

Could a person rig up a suitable cable replacement himself?

·
Registered
888 Posts
Are LHD and RHD wipers mounted the same way?

If they are then I can help. I have been warned about 'advertising' on the forum so have to be careful what I post! Therefore I cannot mention prices etc..

PM me if you need one.

Dan

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Matt88S said:
Could a person rig up a suitable cable replacement himself?
A bass guitar string comes to mind, maybe one could crimp a small piece of steel tubing onto the ends to re-create the original part. Another thought I had, Most major heavy-truck suppliers make various cables. Locally I use Fleetpride, I've had a few unique cables made from a description on the telephone.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Matt,

I've got an entire assembly (motor and all) off a 92 that I bought for the tranny that is now in our 94. It seems not to have any "cables" just stamped steel arms that operate the wiper "stubs". I don't know if it will fit your application or not.

PM if you are interested. I just didn't want to see the parts go the the smusher with the body.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the offers guys. :D

I think I'll be alright though. This is what I've done.

I took the cable off, both ends were still stuck in there thank goodness. I was able to get an idea of the lenth, it was so frayed it was hard to tell though, I hope its right, I have a little leeway due to the adjuster on the end, but thats only good for a fraction.

I went to the hardware store, compaired cables, it appears to be 1/16" steel cable. I bought several feet of that. Expensive stuff, something like $0.32 a foot. :eek:

:p

Then I bought a bunch of copper crimps. They didn't have any like Saab used, even the single crimps were a little shorter than the ones used on the actual part, I probably could have found better crimps if I had went to an auto parts store, but I was jury rigging it anyhow and it was getting dark so I just went with it. This was the most expensive part. The doubles were $0.57 apiece and the singles were $0.51 apiece. All total I spent about $4. :D

I wasn't able to find a crimp on adjuster like it has, thats probably a rather unique part, so I cut the cable next to it and crimped it to the new cable.

I haven't installed it yet, it was getting dark and I was having trouble seeing which way it looped around and whatnot, so I'll finish it tomorrow, but it looks like its going to work.

At the rate parts are going obsolete, we're going to have to get our own machine shops setup to keep these cars on the road guys. :eek:

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
It should work

but if it was over here I would go our local brake and clutch people and they would crimp up a new cable like you have made. They might even have a way of getting the new cable into the threaded end. so it might be a thought to go to them where you are if yours doesn't hold. Yatching people might be worth a look too.

I had to make my own wiper arms out of threaded rod and rose joints for my 1978 campervan.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Matt,
For crimps, check out an offshore fishing catalog.
melton tackle is one company I get a load of crimp stuff for my tuna fishing gear. They have crimps for really heavy monofilament (400-600lb line) that would do the job.
A decent hand crimp tool runs about $50 for the heavier crimps and in the $20 range for lighter stuff.
If you need an adjuster on the end of the cable, cut the head off a stainless bolt, drill out the bolt's shank and have the cable brazed into there.
A couple of aircraft nuts, back to back and you should have a locking adjuster .

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Installed and is working, lets see how long it lasts. :D :lol:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
wow... my ignorance , I have never seen one of these cables on a 900 wiper , I wonder if that is Country relevant ? I have seen many and everyone I have seen is the pressed metal arm variety , I wonder if you could direct swap . ( due to obsolecence , and the fact that the metal arm variety are readily available)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have similar problem

Ok, I thought it best to post my similar issue here instead of starting a new thread. I hope that is the acceptable format. Anyway on to my issue........

I have a drivers side wiper not working on my 89 900 turbo vert. I looked underneath the hood and found that my cable is still there. But not attached to the wheel at the end of the wiper post. My service manual hasnt arrived yet, and I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me how the cable is oriented and attached to the wheel. I will also have to replace this cable in the near future as it has started to fray a little but it is in one piece. I just need to get it reattached so that I can venture out into the rain and sleet today. I know, I live in Texas, why is it sleeting in Texas.. Heheh

I am having a little difficulty getting my eyes close enough to the mechanism, to see upside down under the cowl, and visualize the orientation

Thanks

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Take the arms off, and the rubber boots that the shafts go through, unplug the motor and undo the three bolts that hold the mechanism. When you get it out you will see that the tiny frayed cable does a full turn around the cam and then returns to the arm that moves back and forth. I did a cable once with the unit in place but only once.

·
Registered
287 Posts
My cable just broke Yesterday morning, Sunday that is.

Was it difficult to put it back together? I tried to get where I could see it so that I could find out why it quit but was unable to get my head low enough to see under the lip where they are mounted.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm happy to report my handmade replacement is still working, no issues so far.

Killfast, its not very hard to do, I think I unbolted and dropped the unit down so I could easily access it. You fumble around a bit and have a false start or two and it slips off the cam once or twice then you get it all on there and tighten down the tensioner and thats that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts