SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas where i can get one second hand?

how much do these fetch roughly second hand?

is it a big job to replace it?

many thanks

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
PIE_CJ said:
any ideas where i can get one second hand?
Possibly the junque yards

how much do these fetch roughly second hand?
I'd guess $25 to $50; eEuroParts is $145 new..I was reading where the Pontiac G6 used an aluminum lower control arm; could this be the same ??? And the G6 and the 9-3 are stable-mates..

is it a big job to replace it?
With pro quality tools, it is easy...

many thanks
You are most welcome

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Well, if you were in the US, I'd say www.car-part.com It's an online listing where different junkyards list their wares. I got mine used for $35. That was several thousand miles ago and it's still running great. Perhaps the UK has a similar website.

If you have a car w/ the improved design for the arm and anti roll bar links, you can use any model's arm up thru the last year of the old 9-3. However, if you have one of the 1st 2-3 yrs 900 (don't know what year they updated over there since you all number your model years differently) you'd have to find one of those years if your arms haven't already been updated.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its for my 1999 viggen convertible :)

not many places around by me have saab parts second hand :(

·
Registered
642 Posts
upgrade to genuine saab control arms with the bushings already pressed, you may as well replace both at the same time and the bushings will be a nice upgrade

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dont really want spend too much as its for sale, i want rid of it asap, find it very boring now, ive taken a fancy to an EK9 Civic Type R (jap import)

fancy summit a bit more sporty looking

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Well then, CJ, minimize your losses by being totally honest with the prospective buyer. He can determine exactly what he wishes to do - including customizing before he even buys it - as long as he knows ALL that needs fixed..Best of luck

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
You should have been watching ebay, 2 have gone through recently for the later suspension type, why replace the arm BTW?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would of done that but mot is up next week so need mot it too

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
PIE_CJ said:
i would of done that but mot is up next week so need mot it too
what is wrong with the arm exactly? the rubber boots are replaceable, all bushes are available and you can even do something about slop in the ball joint, the only thing that really scraps any of the arms is being bent or fractured.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its the rubber thing (bush i think its called) but me mate at the main dealer says easier get a second hand arm and he will put it on for me!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I have two arms from a '96 900S, the joint is shot, IMO, on the left side.., the bushings look good; but the shipping is very expensive.

And "MOT" can reject a worn bushing ?? One tough inspection - maybe too much so...

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
earthworm said:
And "MOT" can reject a worn bushing ?? One tough inspection - maybe too much so...
being an 'old hand' [if you object to that term do say so] in the auto trade you may find this simple breakdown of the annual compulsory test for all Uk vehicles over 3 years old in this VOSA link

and having a new MOT certificate to sell a car with is very useful.

·
Registered
380 Posts
earthworm said:
I have two arms from a '96 900S, the joint is shot, IMO, on the left side.., the bushings look good; but the shipping is very expensive.

So what exactly DOES the "inspection" concern in your state, if it doesn't look at vital components for your car's driveability and road safety?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The PA, USA and English inspection standards appear to be ALMOST identical...Seems as if much is left to the judgment of the inspector. But our auto inspection ,IMO, is not quite as rigorous..
If a bushing was worn or hard with age, and the car had a little vibration or rattle, I would still pass it, as I feel that these conditions do not compromise safety..
But, please do not try to slip bad tires or brakes past me.

And a clean , well maintained car does merit an easier inspection than an obvious dirty and abused one..

I do not like that there is too much connection between the inspection and selling services..At one time, in NY, only $3 was charged for the inspection !!
Right now, about 1/2 hour is allotted; it should be 1 hour - there are so many items to check and measure...
But, the RagtopCav is right; I am old...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it passed its m.o.t :)

gutted i put it on ebay and it didnt get 1 bid though :(

v99 and with a starting bid of just £8750 even though its done 102k miles i thought it was a give away at that price and someone wud of snapped me hand off :(

gutted!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts