SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide instructions and/or a parts explosion for the removal of the drivers side fender?

Some butt-munch dented my fender just in front of the door and I can't get the door open without bending metal.

I got a quote and they wanted $500 for this and there is no way I'm spending $500 to fix this... soooooo

I'll have to remove the fender, use a rubber mallet and bang the thing back out and then reinstall it.

I have found all the obvious screws:
top of the fender: x5
inside the door jam: x2
inside wheel well: x2

I know there are more plus I have never removed the wheel well lining before and not sure how to do that.

Thanks all!

Pete

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are two more nuts/bolts at the very bottom of the fender down by the door. Take it from my experience, you will probably want to try and remove the black plastic trim that runs along the bottom of the car. I was able to get to these without removing the plastic trim, but I ended up bending the bottom metal mounting plate so I could get my arm down in there, I think it will be much easier to take off (at least loosen the plastic trim) and tackle the last two nuts from underneath. Sorry, I have no pics or diagram. Next time I do this, I will try to take pics.

The Wheel Liner is really no biggie. I think there are four nuts holding it on (it could be only three). Basically there is one at the very top in the center, careful when you put this back on, it can snap and break easily, so not too tight. Then there are one or two on each side of center. The first time I did this, I did it with the wheel on. Take the tire off and shine a light in there, and you should see them all easy enough.

·
Registered
134 Posts
These are the two I'm referring to. In the pic you can the back of one of the studs, I'm not going to lie, this one was a bear to get the nut off. But I'm thinking if you remove the bottom plastic it will be a lot easier.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... great pictures but it looks like yours and mine might be a bit different.

Here's mine from the side / bottom:

I dont see a place on yours for the screw I have circled but with the moulding on mine, I can't see if it hides the two you are showing.

This one shows the screw near the top hinge... also one under the edge of the moulding, below the windshield (not circled).

This one shows most all of the ones I have found including 2 in the wheel well.

This is the bottom of the moulding that runs underneath the doors taken just aft of the drivers side wheel well.

This is what I have to bang out before Friday.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The two nuts I was referring to are behind the area where you have the question mark in the first picture. Come to think of it, you may be able to get access if you take the wheel liner out first. I've done this on MY99 and a MY01 and they were both the same, so I would figure yours is as well.

Actually, I just realized there are a couple of nuts at the front of the fender also. You'll have to take out the parking light to gain access to these, and there is a clip holding it to the bumper also. Check out this ebay page, this is actually where I got the picture from.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you have to take the headlight or cornering lamp out? I'm pretty much assuming you do... and hopefully there's a link on here explaining how to do it! LOL :cheesy:

·
Registered
134 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the headlight assy, but you will need to remove the cornering lamp. It's a pretty straight forward process, I think one of the bolts attaches the headlight to the corner light, but should be no need to remove the headlight assy.

·
Registered
258 Posts
From the WIS for a 2001:

1. Remove the rear bonnet seal from the front wing.

2. Remove the wiper arms. Use 85 80 144 Puller, windscreen wiper arm.

3. Remove the rubber seals and the bolts holding the cover of the bulkhead partition space. Remove the cover by lifting the front edge and then pulling forward so that the clips release from the edge of the windscreen. Then lift it rear-wards and remove it.

4. Remove the side direction indicators and detach the connectors.

5. Remove the direction indicator lamp and detach the connectors.

6. Remove the grille.

7. Remove the headlamps.

8. Remove the wing liner.

9. Remove the bumper. See Front bumper

10. Unscrew the top of the wing.

11. Slightly loosen the screws on the A-pillar so that the wing can be pushed forwards.

12. Unscrew the nut holding the scuff plate to the front wing.

13. Pull out the scuff plate and slide the front wing forwards. Lift away the front wing.

Note
Left-hand front wing: Transfer the chassis data plate to the new wing after painting. Right hand front wing: Affix new decals after painting.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's why stealers charge so much. You don't have to remove the wiper arms, and definitely don't have remove the cover of the bulkhead, you can finagle it out of the way enough without doing all that. Now that I think about it more and more, I am remembering little things I had to do. (sorry it has been a little while) The bit about removing the bumper in WIS reminded me, you don't have to remove the bumper. You will have to remove the headlight and the grill though. If you take out about 2/3 of the bumber bolts, you will have enough play in it to get the fender out. It may be easier to just take the whole sucker off, but I was able to do it without.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts