SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbag light came on last night.

I stopped by a local shop that has Tech II.

He was in a rush but he said it was the drivers side airbag. I was then told there was a wire in the door that breaks off of a clip.

Well I took the door panel off but isnt the airbag in the seat?

Is this a known issue?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to follow up on my post...

Under the seat, what wires are airbag related?

In the door, should there be an air bag sensor? I don't see anything.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Maybe a sensor in the door that detects a side impact? I think that the side impact airbag is in the left side of the drivers (LHD) door. Also, a problem with the drivers seat belt retractor will also cause an SRS alarm. If it's a transient trouble, the alarm will go out after so many and drive cycles... Ron

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there an airbag in the door or is it in the seat?

Unless I see something obvious I may need the shop to fix it. It will never know if it was a loose connection without waiting fro 20 to 40 starts....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like i need to get my head into the door.
Do i need to worry about the airbag going off if i am wiggling wires. I did pull the battery when i was working on it earlier.

What is the WIS?
I there a write up on how to test?

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Definitely pull the battery cable. You don't want an airbag going off.

WIS is the Workshop Information System - it's what the dealer mechanics use. Not particularly user friendly, but it can he helpful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.
On 9-5 the post i saw where you could disconnect the harness under the arm rest and test the wiring with an ohm meter. Would that apply for a 9-3? Are the schematics online?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the sensor. I could not pull the connector off and it appears to be rivited to the door. I played with the the wires but didnt fix anything.

Plan on driving it for a little while and hoping it goes off on it's own.

In the meantime, I will try to get a copy of the WIS.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
I found the sensor. I could not pull the connector off and it appears to be rivited to the door. I played with the the wires but didnt fix anything.

Plan on driving it for a little while and hoping it goes off on it's own.

In the meantime, I will try to get a copy of the WIS.
Search Ebay "saab 9-3 WIS".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought I would post the end results....

A few weeks ago the local shop had used the Tech2 to determine it was a fault in the drivers door.

I had the door apart three times. The third time I had also taken the center cosole apart and tested every connection from the door sensor to the SRS module.

I couldnt find anything so I dropped it off at the shop this morning.

I picked it up to find that they fixed a connector under the seat! I spend hours troubleshooting something that wasn't broken.

They said the resistance was high across the connection. They applied some type of cleaner (not sure what it was. he said they have to apply it and then wait 60 second before they reconnect). They measured the resistance across the connection before and after to confirm it was fixed.

I do have one last question. Before I had gone to the shop I was checking the connectors under the seat. I knew I had the seat folded forward prior to the light comming on. Are the seats wired so that there is no strain on the connectiors when they are folded forwared? I am wondering if it is going to keep happening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Broken Airbag sensor connector

I managed to break the connector that attaches the sensor to the seat. Any suggestions on where I can find a new connector or a quick fix?

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts