SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I own a 2005 9-5 sedan - and loved it - (note the past tense) until saab went oob and the dealership closed here in Metro DC. Now it is a huge major pain to get work done on my car.

So now again the plastic housing on the driver's side seat has broken and is falling off - its the underneath part, where the power switches are. I have had this repaired with a new housing ($145 or so) 5 times now. This seat is plastic, and is a total piece of junk. However, I am keeping my car.... anyone know where I can get it repaired? or can I fix it myself ??? I would so love to save the $, because this is ridiculous.

An aside... the driver's side mirror just fell off in the driveway on Friday - yet another exceptiontal treat. No one has the part, and it is backordered from Saab for who knows how long. :confused: WHAT THE HECK?????

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
Hi everyone,

I own a 2005 9-5 sedan - and loved it - (note the past tense) until saab went oob and the dealership closed here in Metro DC. Now it is a huge major pain to get work done on my car.

So now again the plastic housing on the driver's side seat has broken and is falling off - its the underneath part, where the power switches are. I have had this repaired with a new housing ($145 or so) 5 times now. This seat is plastic, and is a total piece of junk. However, I am keeping my car.... anyone know where I can get it repaired? or can I fix it myself ??? I would so love to save the $, because this is ridiculous.

An aside... the driver's side mirror just fell off in the driveway on Friday - yet another exceptiontal treat. No one has the part, and it is backordered from Saab for who knows how long. :confused: WHAT THE HECK?????
What caused this plastic piece to break on the drivers seat? Did the nuts get loose from the inside of the mirror housing and just need to be put on and tightened back up? I have an 05 too and haven't had the seat issue at all that your talking about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mechanic told me never to turn to the left while in the seat, and get out of the car... when you turn your body to the left, you put weight on the edge of the seat - the edge by the door - and hence, pressure on the plastic pieces, and YES then they eventually break. I'm not a big person... but when wearing a dress I like to exit the vehicle in a lady-like manner...:lol: so I think I accidentally sat on the side of the seat again, while making sure my skirt was down, and DANG there is is now broken yet again. The plastic pieces I refer to are small plastic clips inside the seat housing.

I've had lots of the other cars, but this has never happened before - only in the Saab.:roll:

On the mirror - the glass part just fell out of mirror housing on Friday. I did find a mirror with adhesive on ebay, and ordered it. I'll apply the adhesive and just stick it on there --- However, I think that will be a temporary fix. I think I need the entire housing. Which is backordered from here until the end of time, apparently.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
The mechanic told me never to turn to the left while in the seat, and get out of the car... when you turn your body to the left, you put weight on the edge of the seat - the edge by the door - and hence, pressure on the plastic pieces, and YES then they eventually break. I'm not a big person... but when wearing a dress I like to exit the vehicle in a lady-like manner...:lol: so I think I accidentally sat on the side of the seat again, while making sure my skirt was down, and DANG there is is now broken yet again. The plastic pieces I refer to are small plastic clips inside the seat housing.

I've had lots of the other cars, but this has never happened before - only in the Saab.:roll:

On the mirror - the glass part just fell out of mirror housing on Friday. I did find a mirror with adhesive on ebay, and ordered it. I'll apply the adhesive and just stick it on there --- However, I think that will be a temporary fix. I think I need the entire housing. Which is backordered from here until the end of time, apparently.
Understand ya! It is a flimsy piece.......along the seat edge there. I thought you meant the entire mirror itself, not just the glass.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
The seat shroud is held on with three bolts, two with caps covering the screws. The seat cushion wears and sags overtime putting pressure on the shroud, which breaks over time. I just took one apart that was hanging. The front bolt and middle were still holding plastic but broke from the shroud.

I used a large washer on the front screw and currently letting two-part epoxy dry on the middle bolt. The bolt head is a Torx T-25.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Norm thanks for the info, I will try & look under/take it partially apart.

Looks like H*** right now - the side is just hanging off the bottom of the seat, the cable for the power mechanism exposed, etc. Extremely frustating!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ours broke loose too and looked like s***. Mine has 3 bolts, one at the front under the seat, one in the middle and one in the rear, plus a clip that slides over a metal part of the seat towards the front. The long part that holds the middle bolt broke and is about useless, the clip broke, so it's just holding on now with the front bolt and the one by the seat belt. I's a pretty flimsy arrangement. I'm not sure if I'm going to fix it or not. I doubt too if any glue would hold. I see the parts listed for about $55, but don't know if they are available.

The bolt covers just pull out with your fingernails and yes a Torx fits the bolts.

There's a place in New Baltimore, almost to Warrenton that's pretty good with the Saabs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ours broke loose too and looked like s***. Mine has 3 bolts, one at the front under the seat, one in the middle and one in the rear, plus a clip that slides over a metal part of the seat towards the front. The long part that holds the middle bolt broke and is about useless, the clip broke, so it's just holding on now with the front bolt and the one by the seat belt. I's a pretty flimsy arrangement. I'm not sure if I'm going to fix it or not. I doubt too if any glue would hold. I see the parts listed for about $55, but don't know if they are available.

The bolt covers just pull out with your fingernails and yes a Torx fits the bolts.

There's a place in New Baltimore, almost to Warrenton that's pretty good with the Saabs.
Hey Dog, Yeah it is pretty flimsy. I've had it fixed before but I refuse to spend more money on this darn car unless it is something I just can't live without, or it is dangerous, etc. I know of the place you are referring to - but it is like at least an hour from me... and then I am without wheels, etc. I want to just glue it to something somewhere so it holds in place and doesn't look like Heck. Just the icing on the cake - now that I'm driving a car that is virtually worthless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wired it up...

Ok, decided to get creative - after someone told me the bolt was easy to remove. I removed the other bolt and ran some wire around it, held it the plastic housing up to the seat as tightly as I possibly could, and twisted the wire at the bottom... it's up in place now... looks not quite as bad, at least the side of the seat is not on the floor of the car. I think I need some better wire, and then I'll re wire it into place again even tighter. Hopefully for about 2 years until I can get together a down payment for a car that is still in production and has parts readily available and isn't so darm flimsy and sensitive! I've always been of the mind that when your car is $ you to death every month it's time to say bye....

Last month it was the crank sensor... (after $$$ of diagnostics) and last week it was the main motor mount! Took 3 days for the mechanic to get the part here, difficult to find.

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Good thinking! That wire will give when the seats cushion moves too. Especially when the plastic is no longer repairable.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Last month it was the crank sensor... (after $$$ of diagnostics) and last week it was the main motor mount! Took 3 days for the mechanic to get the part here, difficult to find.
Thats what this forum is for, to help you diagnose your car and save money doing the repairs yourself. Also almost any part can be found if you know where to look ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi TankTak,

know where I can get a driver's side mirror?!? I found just the mirror on ebay - going to attach it with adhesive - but I have a feeling it will not be a perm. fix. I've been told the mirror is backordered for a long time, even with Saab... :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
There was a thread where someone glued theirs back together, but I doubt if it would hold. Boy, if I could get under the seat and twist a stout wire through the thing and through the center bolt hole, that would help. I just know any glue is not going to hold that long snout on the center screw. Plus if I could get some wire around the clip towards the front, it actually may stay in place. I may play with it and if I have any good ideas I'll post them.

I figured New Baltimore would be a trip for you. It's only a half hour for us, and they always give us a loaner wreck.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Best place to get the mirror replacement

http://stores.ebay.com/CAR-PARTS-HIGHTECPL-LTD/SAAB-/_i.html?_fsub=1125807015&_sid=90053395&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

know where I can get a driver's side mirror?!? I found just the mirror on ebay - going to attach it with adhesive - but I have a feeling it will not be a perm. fix. I've been told the mirror is backordered for a long time, even with Saab... :(

Ours broke loose too and looked like s***. Mine has 3 bolts, one at the front under the seat, one in the middle and one in the rear, plus a clip that slides over a metal part of the seat towards the front. The long part that holds the middle bolt broke and is about useless, the clip broke, so it's just holding on now with the front bolt and the one by the seat belt.
This worked for me; that hole is slightly tapered I used a wood dowel with a hole in the middle and a long screw jammed the dowel in the hole and screwed it in.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Ok, decided to get creative - after someone told me the bolt was easy to remove. I removed the other bolt and ran some wire around it, held it the plastic housing up to the seat as tightly as I possibly could, and twisted the wire at the bottom... it's up in place now... looks not quite as bad, at least the side of the seat is not on the floor of the car. I think I need some better wire, and then I'll re wire it into place again even tighter.
You can use zip ties, they will hold it tight and are easy to put in and tighten.
On a side question in the past 900s & 99s the mirrors were 2 sided and just flipped over for right or left, one side flat and one side convex, is this still done or was it still done when they were making cars?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've repaired this part a few times but, like for many others, it keeps breaking. I also see another potential flaw in the design - when putting the piece on, the seat has to be in a perfect location (using the power button to go back and forth) in order for the rear bolt to line up. After the install, you'll notice that the bolt does not ride steadily inside the hole when moving the seat back and forth, but rather does an ellipitical rotation that has to put strain on the part.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Actually when I repaired mine it came out better than the original mounting I reinforced the front screw as well now when you put pressure on it, it won't even move; mine was broken in the front, middle, and the tab was broken PO did the tie wrap deal and put holes on the top of the cover to run the wraps :eek: luckily the little SRS sign on the cover, covered the holes. :) To remove that cover I just remove the seat bolts and tilted the seat to get access to the bolt/screws; wish I’d took pictures.

I've repaired this part a few times but, like for many others, it keeps breaking. I also see another potential flaw in the design - when putting the piece on, the seat has to be in a perfect location (using the power button to go back and forth) in order for the rear bolt to line up. After the install, you'll notice that the bolt does not ride steadily inside the hole when moving the seat back and forth, but rather does an ellipitical rotation that has to put strain on the part.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wish you had too. I reinforced the front screw with two larger washers and zip tied the second hole. It will stay but it's not close enough to seat IMO. I slid a capped but empty water bottle underneath this part for greater support. However I would like to come up a solid improvement for this recurring problem? I'm so glad I wrote this as I literally have an idea. I'll let you know if it works.

Actually when I repaired mine it came out better than the original mounting I reinforced the front screw as well now when you put pressure on it, it won't even move; mine was broken in the front, middle, and the tab was broken PO did the tie wrap deal and put holes on the top of the cover to run the wraps :eek: luckily the little SRS sign on the cover, covered the holes. :) To remove that cover I just remove the seat bolts and tilted the seat to get access to the bolt/screws; wish I’d took pictures.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd like to see your idea 16. I haven't done anything with mine and it's been 3 years now. We're selling it anyhow. It's not like it's not completely functional, it just looks like crap with that gap between the seat and the housing and it's kinda loose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My idea was flawed and I improvised. I zip tied the electrical connection where it screws into the seat housing to a hole in the metal seat frame. This compensates for the center screw that is not attached. When/if it should come undone again I will add the following 2 steps which were previously mentioned in some variant to secure it:

1. drill a hole in the center of a plastic cap. Then cement it inside the center support guide or on the end of the same. Then zip tie the cemented cap to/or what's left of the center tubing/support so it can not expand & reattach that screw.

2. drill another hole in the plastic next to the existing screw on the front & attach a second screw/washer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts