SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I open my driver’s door the dome and courtesy lights do not come on and the door ajar emblem on the dash does not come on. All other doors work. Any idea what the fix is?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Although I do have a door module switch pack which will not let me lock my doors with my key fob, I am suspecting my issue is a malfunctioning switch or sensor in the door that is supposed to send a signal to the dome lights. Older cars had a push button on the A pillar that operated the dome lights. I don’t see one here so it must be in the door. Anyone know where and what it looks like?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the exterior and interior door handles are attached to the lock mechanism and that mechanism is mounted on the door jam which engages a catch mounted on the B pillar and the sensor or switch which senses that the door is open is inside that lock mechanism. Is that right? Is the lock mechanism serviceable or does the whole mechanism have to be replaced? Can I take it apart to get at the sensor or spray it with silicone lube?

·
Registered
49 Posts
So the exterior and interior door handles are attached to the lock mechanism and that mechanism is mounted on the door jam which engages a catch mounted on the B pillar and the sensor or switch which senses that the door is open is inside that lock mechanism. Is that right? Is the lock mechanism serviceable or does the whole mechanism have to be replaced? Can I take it apart to get at the sensor or spray it with silicone lube?
You are correct. You can open up the actuator and see if you can rehab the switch, but I wouldn't bet on it. It is a tiny little microswitch inside driver's door lock actuator. I had a similar malfunction; my discussion with photos of the microswitch and discussion of how it got damaged at Electrical gremlin

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you soooo much, that’s exactly what I was looking for. Now I’m thinking it might just be easiercheaper to get one at a junk yard. final question- does anyone know if it is plug and play or does it have to be married?

·
Super Moderator
19,222 Posts
plug and play

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks both of you for plug and play and any door switch will work. Appreciate the help!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In thinking about this, it sounds like the switch in the door lock mechanism sends a signal to the window switch pack on the driver’s door which then controls many operations such as the alarm. I suppose I could either have a defective door lock mechanism switch or a defective switch pack. I don’t have a Tech 2 to tell me which of the two is acting up. But, if it is the door lock mechanism then in theory I can I should be able to move the door lock mechanism from one door to another and see if the problem follows it. Stay tuned

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went to a pick and pull yard this morning. Although the internals may be the same, The door latch mechanisms are mirror images of each other on the front doors and the rear door mechanisms appear to be shaped differently. It also looks like it is a lot of work to pry open the mechanisms. So I bought a left front and a right front. I will put the left front in in the next. Day or so to see if that solves the problem. If it doesn’t then the driver side switch pack will be the next suspect.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Success follow up. I installed the junk yard door lock mechanism in my driver’s door and the courtesy lights now come on. Also my doors now lock again with the the key fob. Best part of all, my car alarm no longer goes off all times of day and night.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts