SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1988 automatic transmission Saab 900

On a cold morning started car. When I went to shift the lever into drive, Drive ended up between D and 2. When I put the shift lever on D it is in neutral.

Have to use a little more push to get the shift control into PARK.

What could be the problem and can I still drive my car until this is fixed?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My auto is exactly the same. Have had he car for a couple of weeks. The PO said it had been that way for a long time. She is consistant, no other tranny issues, so I drive her without worry.

Besides, this tranny was put in 60,000 miles ago. I am already saving for a sex change. When the tranny goes, I will rip out the automatic.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
This is easy the cable just needs adjustment.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
sagedil said:
My auto is exactly the same. Have had he car for a couple of weeks. The PO said it had been that way for a long time. She is consistant, no other tranny issues, so I drive her without worry.

Besides, this tranny was put in 60,000 miles ago. I am already saving for a sex change. When the tranny goes, I will rip out the automatic.
:cool: I'd like to do auto to manual change on one of my 8V c900's at some stage.

The shifter issue does sound like a shifter cable adjustment problem, but it might pay to take the cover(s) off the centre console between the seats and see if the rest of the shifter assembly is tightened up properly. Should be fine but can be something to keep in mind.

Craig.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
c900 said:
:cool: I'd like to do auto to manual change on one of my 8V c900's at some stage.

The shifter issue does sound like a shifter cable adjustment problem, but it might pay to take the cover(s) off the centre console between the seats and see if the rest of the shifter assembly is tightened up properly. Should be fine but can be something to keep in mind.

Craig.
That's the shifter cable 900T is talking about, the one inside the car under the center console cover. It works lose over time leading to the transmission being in different gears than indicated by shifter position.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was really hoping to get a Bentley before I started messing around with her. But I suppose that is probably a good idea.

I also have to slightly take my foot off the gas to get her to shift. If I keep my foot on the gas, the RPM's keep climbing.

I really am just praying she will work for the next three months without me having to do anything. I'm about to get a third job but I am very cash poor right now. After that, I should have my motorcycle accident insurance money, and will make sure she is completely up to snuff then. If I get enough money, i might just go ahead and do the sex change now. otherwise, i will just drive the auto until she dies.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Best thing you could do is check the transmission fluid and possibly get the ATF filter changed as a low-cost preventative maintenance approach in the interim as you shouldn't need to let the throttle go to make the transmission shift during normal driving (though it certainly will in some situations if you're drifting or under low power and let off the throttle a bit close to the normal shift points).

I haven't done a filter change on a c900 auto transmission myself but I believe it can be done with the engine/trans in situ. There's a drain plug (which looks like a giant slotted screw) on the bottom of the transmission close to there where the engine oil drain plug lives that will drain out the automatic transmission fluid. The engine oil drain plug has a hex-head like a normal bolt.

I don't know where to buy replacement ATF filters though you could get a Saab tech to do the filter and fluid change for you if it's needed. You could ask a tech to assess the transmission's health for you and plan work based on that assessment. They can also check out the shifter assembly between the seats.

Auto transmission fluid is just hydraulic fluid and the Dexron-III type is what most of us seem to use. The fluid level is fairly important too since auto transmissions pressurise the ATF and there's a specified range that the pressure should be within. If it's too high or too low it can result in irregular/off-spec shifting or harsh shifting even under normal driving conditions.

Craig.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
First off as c900 said you need to check your fluid level.

Second ADJUST THE CABLE. From what you've discribed we pretty well know for sure that's out of adjustment. If its not adjusted right, it can hold it in a midway position between gears and keep full pressure from getting though and let things slip and act screwy and whatnot. Note, this is NOT the TV cable. That runs from your throttle to the transmission. This cable connects to the shifter in the car, remove center cover and you'll find a screw to adjust the lenth of the cable, you use this to adjust cable lenth to the proper lenth for proper selection.

It also sounds like you need to adjust the band. After you do so put the pan back on and refill it with fluid.

While you're in there doing the band though, the filter is nothing more than a screen, so if you feel like taking it out and reverse flushing it out, feel free to do so, but replacement is not needed as its nothing more than a screen.

Next adjust the TV cable.

If you do a search you will come up with a wealth of info on these trans and how to do all this, its been covered many times.

Since you're in the US you should be able to find Type F fluid easily, use it, its what is recommended.

Best luck with it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Matt88S said:
First off as c900 said you need to check your fluid level.

Second ADJUST THE CABLE. From what you've discribed we pretty well know for sure that's out of adjustment. If its not adjusted right, it can hold it in a midway position between gears and keep full pressure from getting though and let things slip and act screwy and whatnot. Note, this is NOT the TV cable. That runs from your throttle to the transmission. This cable connects to the shifter in the car, remove center cover and you'll find a screw to adjust the lenth of the cable, you use this to adjust cable lenth to the proper lenth for proper selection.

It also sounds like you need to adjust the band. After you do so put the pan back on and refill it with fluid.

While you're in there doing the band though, the filter is nothing more than a screen, so if you feel like taking it out and reverse flushing it out, feel free to do so, but replacement is not needed as its nothing more than a screen.

Next adjust the TV cable.

If you do a search you will come up with a wealth of info on these trans and how to do all this, its been covered many times.

Since you're in the US you should be able to find Type F fluid easily, use it, its what is recommended.

Best luck with it.
Where is this screw for shifter adjustment?When doing the band ,tv cable adjustment,pressure adjustment etc.,I took the console off to adjust the shifter cable,and I couldn't locate the adjustment screw.I must have missed it somehow.Maybe I need new glasses.:) Is it the same for all models?Mine is a 92.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts