SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only one this has happened to since SAAB has the Worst cup holders in the WORST placement area, but I've spilt hot tea in my ignition area. I cleaned it up immediately as best I could since i was driving. The ignition appears to be sticky, is there anyway I can clean the inside of the switch somehow, for example with the dielectric spray?

Also, how the ignition pops up when in the locked position, mine is not doing that. It remains flat.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just when I didn't think it was possible with an NG 900, you go and prove me wrong!

Yeah, personally, that's where I would start is with contact cleaner in big spray can (like from NAPA). Mine was a little gummy, and it took care of that nicely. Somebody may come up with a better solution here, though. Make sure you have airflow when spraying:cheesy:.

As far as that ignition button not coming up, could that be from the spill? Maybe it's gummed up, too?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I spray, do I spray directly into the ignition? or do I spray on the Key and put the key into the ignition. I would not be dismantling the ignition as I don't know how to do this and wouldn't feel comfortable doing so.

Thanks for the response!

I remember in the 80s my Mom had to get her ignition replaced because of spilt coffee. The cup holders were even worse then!

·
Registered
353 Posts
If it comes with one of those directional spray 'pipes' point it straight into the ignition- just don't jam it in there. The stuff evaporates quickly, so spraying onto the key won't help at all.

It could be worse- I dropped coffee into the ignition of my 9000 at 5 degrees than came back to it frozen. Heated the key with a propane torch, then tried to put lock deicer in, but still wouldn't evacuate the moisture. I was happy when I got this car, because the ignition was raised, but obviously that still doesn't help...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts