SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a short list of Saab factory models of which I hope to eventually own an example of each which I would call my "dream saabs". Of course, the goal would be to restore them to their former glory with perhaps a few tasteful changes, but keep them mostly stock. Today I was able to check one off the list, but at the same time I wondered how different the lists of others would be. There are so many subtle models of differing exclusivity and markets obviously play quite a part in it as well. Here's my short list of models that I think I actually have some shot in owning someday. I've excluded the truly unlikely such as the prototype SPG, so it should be implied that anything that rare and cool is by default on my list. ;)

1: 85 black SPG
2: Talladega Red SPG
3: 2 door notchback, I'm not that picky about year particularly since they are all flatnoses in the U.S.
4: ComEd 3door
5: ComEd convertible
6: 1986 convertible (first year, 400 total produced, U.S only?, only year of flat nose, all turbos)

Today, I found one of the '86 convertibles for $350 and snatched it right up! It is so exciting to get one of those that you've always wanted, particularly when they are hard to find. I just missed an '86 vert about 4 months ago that was also in good conition and figured it would be a long time before I saw another. The body is rust and dent free with excellent paint. It runs needing just some work on the clutch hydrolics. The interior is shot, but salvageable. It has pretty much everything it came with including the cover for the top while down! It will be a project thread soon, so keep an eye out. One down, lots to go.

I'm curious to seem some of your lists!

·
Registered
219 Posts
A FLAT NOSE VERT?? Never seen one of those how cool you have to get some pics up...
Heres mine...
1.RUBY-missed out on one of these recently for silly money could kick myself
2. VERT-pretty much any to be honest
3. JUBILEE- I know its only an 8v non turbo but always loved them
4.AERO/SPG

·
Registered
312 Posts
1: 85 black SPG
2: Talladega Red SPG
3: 2 door notchback, I'm not that picky about year particularly since they are all flatnoses in the U.S.
4: ComEd 3door
5: ComEd convertible
6: 1986 convertible (first year, 400 total produced, U.S only?, only year of flat nose, all turbos)
You have a cool Wife or are single.

I have a black 85T Hatch. Looking at a parts car,got thee raised eyebrows.

·
Registered
949 Posts
1. 1988 red 900 turbo vert auto just like my dads old vert (my first exposure to Saabs)
2. Viggen
3. 900 Hatch with 9000 Aero engine in hatch driving rear wheels and air ride (yeah, im a dreamer :p)
4. Blue 96 a friend of mines dad has sitting behind their house
5. One of those old wagons
6. My own graveyard of parts cars :p

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A FLAT NOSE VERT?? Never seen one of those how cool you have to get some pics up...
Heres mine...
1.RUBY-missed out on one of these recently for silly money could kick myself
2. VERT-pretty much any to be honest
3. JUBILEE- I know its only an 8v non turbo but always loved them
4.AERO/SPG
I'm not sure what the Ruby is, I'll have to google.

I think the '86 vert was a U.S. only model, but very rare even here. This is the first one I've seen in person and the third I've seen for sale in the last couple years; and I search Craigslist all over the country a lot (way too much according to the wife ;) ). I suspect that many of them have met their demise by now and few people who owned them likely knew they were that scarce. Here's a photo of mine, I'll post more once I get it home:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a cool Wife or are single.

I have a black 85T Hatch. Looking at a parts car,got thee raised eyebrows.
Haha! My wife actually drives the '89 Turbo daily and wouldn't give it up for anything, so she's somewhat sympathetic to the Saab cause. Really, the giant storage room full of car parts probalby bothers her more than the cars themselves. ;) I will probably be forced to do something with my '85 Turbo though which will not likely involve keeping it. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not sure what the Ruby is, I'll have to google.

I think the '86 vert was a U.S. only model, but very rare even here. This is the first one I've seen in person and the third I've seen for sale in the last couple years; and I search Craigslist all over the country a lot (way too much according to the wife ;) ). I suspect that many of them have met their demise by now and few people who owned them likely knew they were that scarce. Here's a photo of mine, I'll post more once I get it home:
RUBY was a limited run only available in the uk, only 150 cars were produced and were to full carlson spec minus the bodykit, all cars came in "ruby red" with colourcoded bumpers.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RUBY was a limited run only available in the uk, only 150 cars were produced and were to full carlson spec minus the bodykit, all cars came in "ruby red" with colourcoded bumpers.
Looks like a ComEd model here in the states, but with a more limited number and ruby red vs. black. That really is a nice color. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. 1991 carlsson 9000 (Had a regular 91 9000T, almost as cool)
2. 2 stroke 96
3. 99T rally car replica
4. Viggen
5. 5speed 9-5 Aero wagon
6. Abbott racing 9000

Current DD is a 9000 Aero so I can take that off the list and I just picked up an SPG which also would have gone on my list.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I'm sure I've seen a flat-nose convertible in the UK. It was a white D-reg. Could have been converted to be a flat-nose I suppose.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
I'm sure I've seen a flat-nose convertible in the UK. It was a white D-reg. Could have been converted to be a flat-nose I suppose.
The first 400 convertibles were flat front 1986 models. All were sold in the US. That's the official story but my first vert was flat front and white. But I did moan to Saab about delivery.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yep, that's confirmed on the Saab Museum website. The one I saw might have been a modified slant nose, or I dreamt it! ;oops:

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That's the official story but my first vert was flat front and white. But I did moan to Saab about delivery.

Yep, that's confirmed on the Saab Museum website. The one I saw might have been a modified slant nose, or I dreamt it! ;oops:
But I'm in the UK Heavy.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I think you edited your post at the same time I was writing mine.

I saw this 900 maybe about 4-5 years ago. It was a white turbo, D-reg I think and had maroon leather seats. I saw it driving past the BP garage at Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes. Maybe it was yours! Can't have been many flat noses that slipped through the net...

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
Yes, Mine was D reg turbo in white, but it had dark grey seats. Ordered it in '85, arrived in '86. Kept it two years and then bought another 3 door. That vert was OK, but not half the car my current '94 is. But that's development for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts