SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my car makes a ticking noise from the engine compartment. i initially thought it was sticky valves or something along those lines, but it typically happens when it is colder out.. and this randomly starts/stops while driving/idling. i can not figure it out. the ticking is always at the same pace, it does not speed up while I rev my engine, so could it be a unlubricated bearing on one of the belt drives?

also, I checked my oil last night after trying to get to the bottom of this, and when i opened up the oil compartment, and pulled the dipstick down, the engine sounded like it almost shut off.. the rpms seemed to drop really low and almost shut the car off, but then it got back up to idle.

Any thoughts on what it could be? I am just about at 1.5k miles after my past oil change.

Thanks!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The ticking, unfortunately I don't have an answer to.

But pulling a dipstick from a running Saab, in my experience (except my 99GL, which I can't even remember where the stick was at this point or what it did), will make the car run like junk. You're much better off shutting it down and waiting a little bit, and the oil likely won't be as frothy either. Little more accurate.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
There are a few possibilities but the one that come to mind first is the evap purge valve located on top of the passenger side wheel well. Its a small valve that opens and closes a few times per second to allow fuel vapors to vent from the tank to the Throttle Body. Its mounted in a rubber bracket but can be loud if it gets pushed against a metal part.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
i can not figure it out. the ticking is always at the same pace, it does not speed up while I rev my engine, so could it be a unlubricated bearing on one of the belt drives?
Thanks!
If the ticking does not speed up when the engine speeds up, the noise can't be coming from anything in the engine or beinf tuened by the engine. Maybe it's coming from something electrical in the car that's always turning at the same speed - fuel pump, heat sensor, headlight wiper, heater fan, etc... Ron

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, i do have the open air intake. Can anyone post a picture showing what the valve looks like and where it is located?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yes, i do have the open air intake. Can anyone post a picture showing what the valve looks like and where it is located?

Thanks,
Chris
Pictures? Just pop your hood, look on the top of the passenger's wheel well next to the strut tower. You can't miss it. It'll be the "ticking thingy".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts