SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to drain and re-fill the tranny fluid on my manual '92 900 Turbo. I know that there isn't a *true* drain plug, per se, so I have to suck it out and refill it. Sound about right?

Anyhow, what tool(s) do I need to suck the fluid out? What do I use to refill it again? Just an angled funnel? I assume that I'll want to park it on a flat surface, suck the fluid out, and then refill it until it's just about overflowing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As to "why" am I doing this, well... I haven't been super-happy with the Redline MTL fluid that's been in there for the past year. I'd like to try a good quality synth 10w30 instead -- perhaps Royal Purple. It's drained fairly infrequently, so the extra cost won't hit too hard. How much fluid does it take to refill?

Thanks... as always! :)

Yip

·
Registered
173 Posts
There isnt a real drain? The bottom of my tranny has a plug with a huge allen head and labeled in the cast of the tranny as "gearbox drain" If thats not the drain then I can stop my hunt for the worlds largest allen key. :lol:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Instead of using a suction gun which will leave some gunky oil behind drive the front up on some ramps and remove the back cover plate from the tranny--it's about a 4"x6" rectangle parallel to the fire wall. On the inside of this plate is a screen "pocket" which filters the tranny oil a bit. You'll wanna clean that off/out before reinstalling the plate. A can of carb or brake cleaner will do nicely for that. I used RTV instead of replacing the gasket--no problems from that. I use 10w30 mobil 1. same as for the engine--about 3qts.

HTH

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have the same thing. I circled where it says "gear box drain". Now I'll see where I can get a 17mm key.

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SaabStory60 said:
There isnt a real drain? The bottom of my tranny has a plug with a huge allen head and labeled in the cast of the tranny as "gearbox drain" If thats not the drain then I can stop my hunt for the worlds largest allen key. :lol:
I think that earlier models *did* have a drain plug, whereas newer models do not. Don't know the year change on this, though.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
SaabStory60, it might be smaller than 17mm. If you want to wait I can check this weekend; my large Allen sockets are at a freind's house. If you want the L-shaped Allen keys they are available at Sears. The sockets I have bought at Advance Auto or Autozone. It was a pack of 3.

Yipcanjo, the 92 900S in the yard here has a drain plug. Or, had as they took it off. I can go there this weekend and take some pictures.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think actually I'm going to just use a pair of vicegrips on it. Since its the junk tranny I'm replacing it doesnt really matter if I mess it up. The new tranny is dry so I wont need to drain it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Yipcanjo said:
Hmmm. Perhaps an older tranny on a newer vehicle? I'm pretty sure that I'm not smoking here.... newer manual trannies do NOT have a drain plug...
Correct.

Just unbolt the diff cover and let it drain out into a pan. Don't waste your lungs sucking it out!

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
SaabStory60 said:
That mustn't be a 91+ 5-speed transmission, as the last version of them doesn't have a drain plug for the gearbox oil apparently.

Craig.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Banman said:
Instead of using a suction gun which will leave some gunky oil behind drive the front up on some ramps and remove the back cover plate from the tranny--it's about a 4"x6" rectangle parallel to the fire wall. On the inside of this plate is a screen "pocket" which filters the tranny oil a bit. You'll wanna clean that off/out before reinstalling the plate. A can of carb or brake cleaner will do nicely for that. I used RTV instead of replacing the gasket--no problems from that. I use 10w30 mobil 1. same as for the engine--about 3qts.

HTH
Thanks, Banman (& IronJoe) -- I'll do that. :p

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Its the first one, the differential cover gasket. The dif. cover is the one on the side of the tranny facing the firewall/ steering rack.

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
I would never use RTV (silicone) sealant on any gearbox or engine gaskets. This is a car FFS, not a bathroom.

The Saab approved sealant is Loctite 518. 518 cures only in the absence of air which means the excess which squeezes out from between the joint faces doesn't cure to solid flakes, blocking pickup tubes/strainers/etc.

518 is good stuff. A smear on both sides of that diff gasket will almost guarantee against oil leaks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
when you refill, poor a small bit of oil into the primary drive and if you want to be 100% rid of all the old oil. you will have to open the front primary plate. a build up of gunk forms there so it might be worth while doing it if the engine is off the car otherwise i'd leave it alone and just put enough oil in to keep the chains lubed while oil picked up from the otherside of the case..

for removing the drain plug i used a star key i had instead of the large allen key. it worked fine and saved me spending more money on one off tools...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts