SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i went to the drag strip lastnight and was a lil disappointed, my best time was 14.4 at 101.74 and my best speed was 102.74 at 14.5, i ran a 14.0 at 101 last year. my main problem was traction i kept spinning bad in first and second. I think i could of got into the high 13s with some sticky tires, I have toyo proxe 4s on it right now and they werent good enough. So my question is can anyone tell me some good either street sticky tires or track tires that arnt like 200 a peice? I want to get some new tires to try and go again break 14.0, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!
thank you

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a stage 4 e85 tune and all my other mods are on my page, and the only problem with getting an LSD is they don't make them for autos or i dont even think you can use one on an auto? Thats why I think new tires would help

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Maybe just a bit of pedal control will help and lower your tyre pressures.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Drag radials ;-) don't be sad my best time was 14.7 at 115. Although I had no 2nd gear.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I thought about making bars to put in place of the rear shocks to lock the swing axle in place. Just to see what it would do.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bogan i tried a few differnt ways of taking off and if i didnt spin my tires it slowed me to down quit a bit,

bobsabbit i have bilsteins in the front but stock springs, but i eventually want to get springs

azr how did u only only get 14.7 at 115? and what do u mean u have no second gear?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The car wouldn't go into 2nd so it was 1st 3rd 4th.

·
Registered
18,932 Posts
bobsabbit i have bilsteins in the front but stock springs, but i eventually want to get springs
For drag racing, springs can make a big difference. You want the rear stiff so that the car can't lift back when you hit it so you keep the weight on the front wheels in a FWD car. You want the front stiff so it can't get a bounce/rebound cycle going. 'steins at both ends should be fine to stop the oscillation. You could try Viggen springs, which are 10% stiffer front, 25% rear (nice choice for keeping the weight forward) or some aftermarket springs.

The best ties in the world won't do anything if there's no weight on them to hold them down. Just sayin.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks bobsabbit I'm waiting for more funds then I'm going to do the rear struts then get some kind of stiffer springs, also I'm trying to upload video of me racing a mustang but can't figure out how to do it on this iPhone ahhh, and arz is ur car an auto or was it just not long enough to get into fifth gear

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I know this was a trick for RWD cars that could probably benefit FWD cars. They'd use chains bolted to the A-arm (or somewhere around that area) and then bolt the other end to the frame rails (or something similar). Under hard acceleration when the front tries to lift, the chains will "lock" preventing the front suspension's travel. People also use a chain to "lock" the engine from moving to much. Would act like a solid motor mount when taut, but not vibrate you to death when there's slack. Easy to remove as well.

Just with the stuff I've picked up over the years, I believe getting the rear of the car higher (air shocks with a switch in the car can do this with ease but takes a couple seconds to inflate-they were popular in the 80's with the big RWD cars as you could increase the stiffness and height of the back for towing by a couple inches) will force the weight on the nose (giving better traction). Couple this with chains limiting the amount of lift the front suspension is allowed to do should give almost no weight transfer to the rear as well as extra traction from the car sitting forward a bit. Once the car is out of the hole you could also lower the shocks while going down track to reduce drag. The nice thing with chains is you'd just remove the bolts holding them down when not at the track.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i just used this on my grand prix. spring blockers, easy to take in and out and took alot of squat out of the rear. they prevent the springs from compressing on acceleration hits. worked well for me.

you got a nice trap speed, get the 60' down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts