SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Linear). Was looking for a 3" downpipe set up, but found this 2.75" to 2.5" turbo catback set up on eBay and I had a couple questions. Will this fit my Saab, and will I see alot less gains than a 3" set up? Just trying to see if it's worth it before I commit. I appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!!!! ?

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t (Linear). Was looking for a 3" downpipe set up, but found this 2.75" to 2.5" turbo catback set up on eBay and I had a couple questions. Will this fit my Saab, and will I see alot less gains than a 3" set up? Just trying to see if it's worth it before I commit. I appreciate any and all feedback, thanks!!!! ?
I found that too, and there was an old thread where it said that the ebay stuff is absolute junk. I'm going to a local muffler shop to get a 3" setup custom made.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are you wanting to upgrade the exhaust for additional performance gain or just because the stock system is no longer good? I think those 2 scenarios would dictate a different answer. If you are going for greater performance, what stage tune are you planning?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Around how much would it cost for a custom 3" set up from a shop?
Depends on the components that you put in. If you go for a resonator and muffler, that's around $100-150 new. Then probably another $50-100 on pipe, and then labor which should be around $200. All told should come out around $400.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you wanting to upgrade the exhaust for additional performance gain or just because the stock system is no longer good? I think those 2 scenarios would dictate a different answer. If you are going for greater performance, what stage tune are you planning?
Going for performance. I have a stage 1 tune from MPS at the moment, and he said for the next stage I need a 3" downpipe. That's why I was unsure about the set up I posted, because it's not 3". I'm basically trying to find the most cost effective way to achieve the next stage, without giving up any gains. You know what I mean?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Around how much would it cost for a custom 3" set up from a shop?
Depends on the components that you put in. If you go for a resonator and muffler, that's around $100-150 new. Then probably another $50-100 on pipe, and then labor which should be around $200. All told should come out around $400.
Thanks for the info. I'll deff have to price check a couple local shops. If I'm going to do it I might as well go with a 3" set up opposed to the 2.75 to 2.5. Go big or go home :stuck_out_tongue:

·
Registered
486 Posts
dont bother. do the td04 turbo swap from the 2.0T b207r. i did all the linear stages, and then all the td04 stages. stage 1 on the td04 makes more then the stage 3 gt20. in hindsight, i'd have just done the swap first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dont bother. do the td04 turbo swap from the 2.0T b207r. i did all the linear stages, and then all the td04 stages. stage 1 on the td04 makes more then the stage 3 gt20. in hindsight, i'd have just done the swap first.
If I do the turbo swap and get it tuned again is it that simple? Or do I have to replace other components along with it like the fuel injectors

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
No need to swap the ECM, just a tune.
As for the exhaust diameter. You wont ever make the power to need a 3" turbo back. If stick with the 3"dp to the 2.5".......but if you can get 3" custom exhaust made for cheap, then go that way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
we just did the big T swap ...on the prototype car..
well worth the money
got the turbo , manifold , all the oil and coolant lines and banjo dolts and injectors and fuel rail ... for $125 at a pull a part yard...

·
Registered
59 Posts
stainless steel and TIG welded parts will come soon this summer.
every one seemed to like the prototype car ( except mustang gt's ) and the first 3" down pipe that I recently made for test fitting ..
I wanted to produce a cheaper way to get into a stage 3 big t car than what was offerd

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Here is the 3" direct replacement downpipe For the saab 2003+ 9-3 SS/SC
Not to discount your efforts to build something from scratch, but a MIG welded steel DP might not be a big market. IMO it takes a fair amount of time and effort to replace the pipe and you are not replacing it with a unit that has a CAT.
The 9-3 crowd is a bit more refined. Smooth TIG welds, mandrel bends, and proper stainless, or people will just leave the OEM unit.

Either way, keep designing and fabricating because that is what America needs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We are getting a tig welder asap... I can't wait...
Currently I can't turn my welder up high enough to make flush welds on even 1/8" stock ... there is only 1 15 amp line running to a detached garage and it's not mine

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mangniflow sells a 4x3" stainless race cat for a hundred dollars and most ppl wouldn't want one any way our tunes turn off the air pump and secondary o2 sensor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts