SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
You don't even need that. Spark plug non-foulers work fine.
Jeremy: I have trouble visualizing how this works... do you double the bungs and still let exhaust gas get to the sensor? Or are the bungs just dummies with no open port to the exhaust (in which case I wonder what signals it would generate)?

·
Registered
10,600 Posts
Yep, that's exactly right. You screw the non-foulers into each other and then into the exhaust pipe, and screw the O2 sensor into the top non-fouler. The top-most non-fouler usually has to be drilled out slightly because the tip of the O2 sensor is too big for the little hole in the non-fouler. A little exhaust gas still gets to the sensor, but apparently not enough to make the sensor think the exhaust is dirty, even without a catalytic converter. I ran my car that way for a couple of years and never had the check engine light come on.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Yep, that's exactly right. You screw the non-foulers into each other and then into the exhaust pipe, and screw the O2 sensor into the top non-fouler. The top-most non-fouler usually has to be drilled out slightly because the tip of the O2 sensor is too big for the little hole in the non-fouler. A little exhaust gas still gets to the sensor, but apparently not enough to make the sensor think the exhaust is dirty, even without a catalytic converter. I ran my car that way for a couple of years and never had the check engine light come on.
Interesting!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this is the route i will go then, if non-foulers are proven thanks guys and removing o2 sensor via a tune still won't pass NY emissions which is an obdII test

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
this is the route i will go then, if non-foulers are proven thanks guys and removing o2 sensor via a tune still won't pass NY emissions which is an obdII test

I've wondered about the emissions test with the disabled 2nd O2 sensor.

When the ECU tune includes turning off the sensor, all it really is doing is turning off the sensor diagnostics, not the sensor it self.

I've turned off the sensor on all three of my SAABs, my ODBII scanner still sees and reads live data from those sensors.

Still, to be safe, fooling the system by limiting the temp and gas flow around the sensor is probably better than hoping the emissions test won't notice the fact the ECU is ignoring the sensor readings totally.

·
Registered
349 Posts
i posted this in an earlier thead but here is it again.
for the post cat O2 sensor, you can use the spark plug non-fouler trick.

stole this from s10forum.com
Re: Do it yourself o2 simulator

It works, and there is no need to cut any wires or anything...very easy as well.
I personally have driven about 300 miles since, no CEL. So anybody who wants to run a test pipe...here is the mod you should do to stop the CEL...don't bother with the electronic ones with only some of them working...and not working all the time. These pics are from it being done STi, but I did it on my S, works just the same.

or

Those are the Spark plug, Anti-Foulers you'll need to do this..just pick them up at any auto parts store

1 - 10 of 10 Posts