SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i know this topic has been discussed many times before but im having trouble finding the threads. So here is my simple question

What kind of power gains am i looking at with the 3" downpipe and sports cat from jak stoll performance?? i have a 2.5 cat back right now, is it going to be a noticeable change or a minor one? and is it wise to do it now with winter coming in a few months????

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snow, and more power doesn't mix well, idk how the 9000 will handle in the winter, i have never driven it in the snow, i have been trying to find steel wheels and snow tires for a good price dont want to spend more then like 300 dollars, lol

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
heres a tip...they are a swedish car....and in sweden there is alot of snow...and many winters i drive right around the idiots who think they are invincible in there 4 wheel drive hogs.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
9-3Aero said:
snow, and more power doesn't mix well, idk how the 9000 will handle in the winter, i have never driven it in the snow, i have been trying to find steel wheels and snow tires for a good price dont want to spend more then like 300 dollars, lol
Its all about your tires and how much gas you give it. A larger down pipe and more power doesnt mean you have to drive with your foot to the floor any more than you do now, your just able to get more if you want it ;)

Anyways, winter comes every year lol, what does it matter if its this winter or not?

And your turbo is supposed to spool faster with this mod, go for it!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alrighty then im ordering it, i just needed some push, oh and i think my cats going bad anyways, its not blocked but every few days i smell rotten eggs and my gas mileage is horrible lately

Thanks for the push!

·
Registered
987 Posts
9-3Aero said:
alrighty then im ordering it, i just needed some push, oh and i think my cats going bad anyways, its not blocked but every few days i smell rotten eggs and my gas mileage is horrible lately

Thanks for the push!
I've been told a 3" exhaust will cure what ails a 9000, Certainly seems to apply to your situation. :lol:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that sounds like a good enough reason to me! i sent jak an email telling him i will order it. Unfortunately when my dad had the car he needed the exhaust fixed so he got the 2.5" cat back system instead of the 3" its all good though, idk if .5 inch would make a huge difference but lets see what happens after i get the bigger downpip and cat, will i need to do anything to the car after i install the bigger dp and cat??

·
Registered
352 Posts
Tirerack has Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for 68$ a tire and 50$ rebate when buying 4. They also have steelies for $25. After the rebate that puts you at ~$320.

I currently have the Winter Sport M3's on my 9000, they were there when I got it and I havent driven in the snow yet (bought car in may) but with winter coming up and not too much tread on my tires, I might be in the market for a new set.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think im going to order these Text but thanks for telling me about the steel wheels they sell, i checked awhile ago and i didnt see it on there, $25 is dirt cheap for new steel wheels better then ebay! thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you've got a good set of sticky snow tires, there's not much this car wont go through :cool: WNY blizzard, and lots of drift busting, and only got it stuck in the "parking spot" that had about 9" of snow over ice.... the "parking spot" turned out to be a field.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just talked to Jak Stoll and he said the total would come out to 395 which isnt bad, i told him my 94 9000 cs has two o2 sensors, one on the DP right after the turbo and the second one on the cat, he said that the 94 doesnt have 2 it only has 1, and if it has two its ob2 and not obd1, whats is it then? is my 94 obd2 and does it have 2 o2 sensors, i never really looked at it closly but when i was under the car, i saw what looked to be an o2 sensor right above the cat, is it an o2 sensor or somthing else?? Please help beacuse i want to order the DP and cat asap

Thanks

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
9-3Aero said:
I just talked to Jak Stoll and he said the total would come out to 395 which isnt bad, i told him my 94 9000 cs has two o2 sensors, one on the DP right after the turbo and the second one on the cat, he said that the 94 doesnt have 2 it only has 1, and if it has two its ob2 and not obd1, whats is it then? is my 94 obd2 and does it have 2 o2 sensors, i never really looked at it closly but when i was under the car, i saw what looked to be an o2 sensor right above the cat, is it an o2 sensor or somthing else?? Please help beacuse i want to order the DP and cat asap

Thanks
Re-check the manufactor date in the drivers door and also look under the hood, it will give you the specs on whether its obd1 or two. I have both and the 1994 and 1995 cars where obd1 with one o2 sensor, in 1996 they started using ob2 with 2 o2 sensors. Get under the car if you have to and make sure the second one is a o2 sensor. Maybe someone put a obd2 dp on you're obd1 car.

If its a 1994 car, its obd1.....

John

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i know, it was my mistake, idk why but i thought the thing above the cat was an o2 sensor, i never really looked at it closely, i did today and its not an o2 sensor lol

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I don't know man, but after getting my saab to the power, I really feel scared on rainy roads. I am definitly scared of the winter. On wet roads on slight bends i can spin the tires in like 4 gear. That's scary stuff.
Obviously, it all comes down to the right foot control, but the point is, now I have to literaly feather it in wet in first two gears....

Klim

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yhea i know what you mean, i was on 46 after it had just rained doing about 50 in 5th gear and i downshifted and i got on the gas, and my wheels broke loose and i started to spin them, scary stuff, idk im still not sure if i want the dp now, but maybe i gota think about it, i just ordered snow tires so thats should help

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
9-3Aero said:
yhea i know what you mean, i was on 46 after it had just rained doing about 50 in 5th gear and i downshifted and i got on the gas, and my wheels broke loose and i started to spin them, scary stuff, idk im still not sure if i want the dp now, but maybe i gota think about it, i just ordered snow tires so thats should help
Spinning in the rain or snow with fwd is fairly safe compared to spinning a rwd car in the same conditions. I have spun at 75-85mph in third and 4th gear and the car just follows the spinning tires. It does kind of scare you at first, but once you realize the car keeps going straight and just follows the direction of the front tires, its not so bad...

John

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
John Z Williams said:
Spinning in the rain or snow with fwd is fairly safe compared to spinning a rwd car in the same conditions. I have spun at 75-85mph in third and 4th gear and the car just follows the spinning tires. It does kind of scare you at first, but once you realize the car keeps going straight and just follows the direction of the front tires, its not so bad...

John
Sorry, off topic.
I actually disagree with that. It all goes back to the eternal dialogue about fwd or rwd, but you are absolutely right about going in the straight line. It is easier on fwd, on rwd you would need to continuously correct it. However, when you do it in a turn, if your front tires start spining you start going forward, out of the turn. And if it is really slippery(snow road, bad tires) there is NO WAY to correct the situation, except to pull the handbrake(you can turn into the turn even more and floor it but it only works if you get enough traction(decent tires), if not you will just go straight). And pulling the handbrake, first, is reallu rude and not a well controlled maneuver(have to keep one hand on the steering wheel, one on the brake, what if you need to change gears?), and second, really accomplishes what would happen with a rwd. WIth rwd it is quite easy, just let go of the throttle and correct by turning into the slide. Actually, you can play with the throttle and you will be able to pass it even quicker. And you will pass the same turn, with a beautifull slide at a higher speed.
If you know what you are doing, rwd car is much easier to control. For regular user though, fwd is probably better because it is more stable. But it is much harder to get out of the slide if it started sliding. Actually, the same goes for AWD. More stable then FWD, but MUCH harder to get out of the slide.

Just my 2 cents,

Klim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts