SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 9-3 convertible, automatic, with the GS catback and OAI. I want to do another upgrade, and I can choose between a downpipe and a turbo intake pipe. I've heard a lot of good things about the downpipe, but not much about the intake... opinions?

Also, is GS a good place to get either of these?

Thanks, all.

~neomagus00

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
downpipe + the catback you already have will give you a big boost through out the power band

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
A 3" DP will give you great gains. I got about a 15 horse bump with mine.

An intake makes neato noises.

I know what I would pick.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
you dont need the intake pipe until you exeed like 350hp or something. Get the DP. It will decrese spool time and give you boost that holds a little better.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the exact same car and did the gs intake and sport exhaust first. drove the car a while and got the downpipe. The day I installed the downpipe I was the day I stopped missing my civic SI! Hands down ...Down pipe!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, that about decides it! Thanks for the quick responses.

Is GenuineSaab an okay place to grab this piece? I've heard nothing but positive reviews about the GS downpipe, just wanted to check with those in the know.

~neomagus00

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am off to Costa Rica for a quick vacation (leaving approximately five minutes ago), and according the reccommendations here, i'll be putting the GS downpipe on as soon as I get back

i plan on collecting some before-and-after performance stats... so far I'm going to grab the following datapoints:

- 0-50 (tests turbo lag)
- 20-60 (mostly low rev performance, range chosen so turbo is already spun up)
- 45-100 (mostly high rev performance, ditto on spin-up)
- lap time around my favorite abandoned parking lot course (a couple fast sections, a few slow to very slow sections), to test feel and pickup, as well as straight power
- exhaust SPL (at idle and, if i can manage it, full throttle)

can anyone think of anything else that might be useful?

~neomagus00

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Sounds like a well-rounded list!

Do you have any way to see about the drop in exhaust temps?

·
Registered
23 Posts
i would go with the dp like everone else but if i could go back and do it again i would get it without the cat if you plan on getting an ecu later and you can have it so a cel wont come on and you can still get a sticker every year.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Dp, with cat for christs sake. Its not going to give you any more power and it will be worse for the environment. Why bother? IMHO.

·
Registered
134 Posts
saabkid37 said:
cliffnotes - its now come about that cats reduce smog but increase global warming even more.
well now I wont feel so bad when I have a straight-thru exhaust!:D

but on a more serious note, there have been people in my area cutting off, aka stealing, catalytic converters and selling them for scrap. Its happened to dozens of people and most of the time its in grocery store parking lots or at the mall and only takes them 30-40 seconds to do it. What people will do to make a buck...
(less serious note)...unless they are overzealous tree-huggers who got a hold of that article!^^^

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
B204Life said:

but on a more serious note, there have been people in my area cutting off, aka stealing, catalytic converters and selling them for scrap. Its happened to dozens of people and most of the time its in grocery store parking lots or at the mall and only takes them 30-40 seconds to do it. What people will do to make a buck...
(less serious note)...unless they are overzealous tree-huggers who got a hold of that article!^^^
The average cat will net you $90 because of the platinum that’s in them. Also, you are correct on the tree hugger comment Wikipedia has been cutting down many who post non-man-made global warming info for years now.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
B204Life said:

yeah the cores of cats are really valuable these days. i got 150 bucks for 3 old 9000 downpipes i had laying around at a local scrapper.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so, i finally got around to ordering the downpipe, and i'm expecting it thursday. on installation - is it relatively straightforward (i.e. put it on stands and wrench at it for 20 minutes), or is there more to it? and how long does the turbo take to cool down (i have to drive to a friend's garage to borrow his stands)?

also, any way to test exhaust temps, a/f ratio, or CO (i'm assuming liketheword means carbon monoxide, or else i'm missing an abbreviation from my lexicon) without a dyno run? temperature can be based on how much the tailpipe hurts to grab after a 1/4 mile run, but that's not the most accurate test ever...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts