SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Some quick background..

Car is a '99 9-3. I have beautiful 17" dual 3-spoke wheels w/ 215/45 tires. I recently added Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Bilstein Sport shocks. The car rides firm, but I can deal with it. Although, over major bumps it feels pretty scary and I now have dead strut mounts, and possibly worn control arm bushings.

I'm thinking long term here..... I wouldn't mind some more compliance and less wear on other suspension components. How would 16" wheels be? Would the increased sidewall help make it ride a *little* less harsh, and more importantly, would it reduce the wear on the other rubber suspension bits a little? I figure I could easily sell my dual 3 spoke 17's, and also my original 15" delta alloys that came with the car for enough money total to buy some decent 16" wheels. Tires would also be cheaper, and I won't have the need to swap for the winter.

What do you guys think?

·
12,576 Posts
Lots of people have fitted 17"s to their 9000 and gone back to 16"s for ride harshness and peculair handling traits that appeared with the bigger wheels; I see no reason why the 900 wouldn't suffer similarly.

You'll get slightly better fuel economy for 16" wheels too.

It is difficult to say whether the 17" wheels are the actual cause of the part fualts you've developed or whether they were 'the straw to break the back' so to speak or if being less absorbing they've merely highlighted the problems to you.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ragtopcav said:
Lots of people have fitted 17"s to their 9000 and gone back to 16"s for ride harshness and peculair handling traits that appeared with the bigger wheels; I see no reason why the 900 wouldn't suffer similarly.

You'll get slightly better fuel economy for 16" wheels too.

It is difficult to say whether the 17" wheels are the actual cause of the part fualts you've developed or whether they were 'the straw to break the back' so to speak or if being less absorbing they've merely highlighted the problems to you.
Yea. I suppose you could say that with the 17 inch wheels, the stiffer springs, the super stiff bilstein sport shocks, and my steering rack brace, that I took most of the play out of the system, which stressed what rubber components remained. My thinking is that by adding 16" wheels back with tires that have a larger sidewall, I'll reintroduce some compliance back into the system, which will help spread out the stress/shock of daily driving better.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
SAABturboDRIVR
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing