SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one no about down pipes with out converters, and if its legal, especially in Florida. If i get on with out and I am driving down the street is the cop going to notice that I do not have one or not???;)

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You will surely get a CEL without some electronic tweaking. State to state has variations on the law.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i actually did get it working....WHat i did was bascially extend the o2 sensor farther out of the pipe, and it worked, but I have MP prototype DP and the o2 sensor bung is off to the side, and it scraped the ground and killed my o2

Jules 9-3 did the same thing in his 9-3 and he has T7 and I believe its working for him

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yip I did the "extension" mod after getting tired of the constant CEL.
3 months later still no CEL so it works perfectly

Jules

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
A bit rusty there Jules....

I'm wondering if this would help my with the problem of my constant CEL on my MP dp. Keep in mind that mine actually has a cat. Its just an MP thing. I'll look into this if Frank doesn't reprogram it into the new ecu at SOC.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the MP downpipe WITH cat, and it made the CEL come on. I asked my mechanic about this and he told me to disconnect the battery overnight (to reset the ecu and other electronics) and the ECU should reprogram itself when you reconnect it. This got rid of my CEL with the MP downpipe.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
Perhaps some of you just need new o2 sensors? :cheesy: As for the law, no one would know unless you have to take an emissions test. Police would be clueless on a car like a saab if there was a sound difference. The only thing you'd notice would be the fumes that normally are converted w/ the noxious stuff into something else. BTW, the mp w/ cat still has the potential to be VERY LOUD depending on what type of exhaust setup you have. I put mine on tonight and it's a tad lower than my stock piece. I scraped the pavement and knocked loose my poorly secured clamp, seperating the dp from the rest of the exhaust. It was REALLLLLLY LOUD.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
A new O2 sensor would make sense, except that so many of us are having the same problem just days after the MP dp install. I think I'll try what 96 reccomended. Couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
After properly securing that clamp, mine is fine. And I still don't have 02 sensor problems!

It really spools the turbo fast, did I say that already?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It takes a couple days usually bkrell.

·
Registered
9,423 Posts
I don't understand why. Would it be something about the placement that casues soot buildup? Otherwise, I would think that the fault would register immediately.

Well, I'll give a shout if I get one.

·
Registered
10,606 Posts
My 3" downpipe without a cat from MP Performance was just shipped today. I went down to Schuck's auto parts and found the Motormite Help! 42002 spark plug non-foulers that everyone says will eliminate the check engine light from the rear O2 sensor. Next weekend I hope to bolt it on, and I'll let you guys know if I ever see a check engine light!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I don't know if you are all aware, but if you get the actual code read for the CEL after the MP dp install, its the front O2 that is listed as failed, not the rear. Ofd, indeed.

·
Registered
483 Posts
well check your rear o2 sensor to, because my faulty rear o2 sensor was causing a front o2 sensor code as well as a code for the rear one

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
ricot83 said:
ya josh is right... if there is something with the rear one the front code goes tooo
I have actually gotten 2 sepaerate codes on my O2 sensors.

I got one for slow response from the front bank and the other was for faulty reading from the rear bank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts