SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Just browsed a few posts and once again, I am curious of the Dot 5.1 brake fluid that keeps getting mentioned.
I can only ever see Dot 4 at the range of part outlets over here in Aust.
Does anyone have an idea of a 'rollout' progression of this grade of brake fluid? ie: is the availability being trialed in Europe/US first then another continent, then another continent and so on?
Is it not suited to a dryer climate maybe such as here in Australia?
Is it brand specific?

Any thoughts or notions?

Cheers

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Progression: DOT2, DOT3, DOT4, DOT5, DOT5.1. DOT5 is silicone fluid and must not be used on our cars (unless you change every seal). All the others are okay. So forget DOT5.

DOT5.1 has been around for years, is available everywhere (really) and is what we should be using in our cars. It's higher spec than DOT4, absorbs less moisture and has a higher boiling point. You always want high spec components for critical systems such as brakes.

DOT5.1 would be particularly suitable for Australia's hot and dry climate because its boiling point is higher. DOT5.1 is not brand specific.

You can safely use DOT4, but personally I'll spend that little bit extra and get the best.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I beleive it is actually the other way around dot 5 is a silicone based fluid, the oothers are mineral based. Dot 5 does not absorb water and has a very high boiling point that does not decrease with age, but is a little more compressible and gives a softer pedal.
I have also been told that you can not use dot 5 without changing every seal in the system.
This topic came up on the FAQ pages of UKs Superbike Magazine a few years ago and the reply from the magazines staff members was that they always topped up with dot 5 regardless of what was already in the system with no problems at all, as it would not have got a dot cassification if it was not mixable with other dots.
I do not think that it is legal in my country to put a lower grade dot in a car than it had when sold new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts