SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for adhesive the black metal trim that goes around the door window opening? It looks like the factory may have used foam tape, or maybe whatever adhesive held the badges on.

I lost a piece and it took a year to find a replacement - I don't want to lose it again!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Any recommendations for adhesive the black metal trim that goes around the door window opening? It looks like the factory may have used foam tape, or maybe whatever adhesive held the badges on.

I lost a piece and it took a year to find a replacement - I don't want to lose it again!!!!!! :)
Wish i could help you but could you tell me where you acquired the replacement. I could really use 2 of those :)

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this based on experience or just a guess? A liquid adhesive could work, but I don't want to find out the hard way that it didn't.

·
Registered
13,009 Posts
3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.
We used to call it Buffalo Snot. It doesn't let go...Ever.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rolled with 3M "Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" #08008. Comes in a 5oz tube, black goop, pretty watery. Closer to water than RTV. But after a few seconds of air exposure it gets pretty sticky, then in a minute REALLY sticky.

I applied a small amount to the long trim piece that goes along the upper part of the window frame to get it back into position, then a thin bead to the piece that was being replaced. Instructions say to apply it to both surfaces, but that really wasn't an option here. I did let it set for a minute and get REALLY sticky before putting things into place.

It's been 24 hours now, and I gotta say I don't think those parts are going anywhere ever again. ;ol;

Thanks for the recommendation Jim - #08008 seems like a great thing to have in the toolbox. Now I can glue all sorts of stuff together!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts