SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my '04 9-5 a short time ago, one of the things I noticed was the front passenger door trim was coming off a little and had a gap between it and the black trim by the window. I have tried to push it back in and for some reason it won't stay (as soon as someone closes the door it pops back out). Anyone have any experience with taking the door trim off and can tell me what holds it in or why it might not be staying in when I place it back?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If I recall you have to pull the door panel off the door and the trim slides on the edge if that makes sense. You can't push it back on with the panel still on the door.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that makes sense.

How do you take the door panel off? Are there screws, plastic tabs that snap in (on other cars are notorious for breaking) or a combo of both?

·
Registered
867 Posts
There's screws on the door handles (2) and one under the door pull (1). The panel itself does have clips that mount it to the door but carefully prying around the panel with a plastic putty knife makes quick work of it.

Once removed I pull up and then out. The trim you mentioned is wedged in between the glass and the door frame so you need to pull up on the panel to clear. Be careful of the door marker light as well.

Edited to mention...Noting your frayed panel edge...An old upholstery guy told me a trick to fix the frayed edges as it makes sliding the trim back on quite difficult. You take some Elmer's glue and carefully put a bead (or use your finger to smear it carefully) along the exposed edge and then take two pieces of 1x2 wood and clamp the edge in place. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's screws on the door handles (2) and one under the door pull (1). The panel itself does have clips that mount it to the door but carefully prying around the panel with a plastic putty knife makes quick work of it.

Once removed I pull up and then out. The trim you mentioned is wedged in between the glass and the door frame so you need to pull up on the panel to clear. Be careful of the door marker light as well.

Edited to mention...Noting your frayed panel edge...An old upholstery guy told me a trick to fix the frayed edges as it makes sliding the trim back on quite difficult. You take some Elmer's glue and carefully put a bead (or use your finger to smear it carefully) along the exposed edge and then take two pieces of 1x2 wood and clamp the edge in place. Worked great for me.
Thanks for your help.

I took the door panel off today and could not for the life of me get the frayed trim back in the black sleeve. Even on the front part of the panel where there is no fray, I could not get it to fit. I tried using a butter knife (too thick) and flat headed screwdriver and a putty knife to guide the trim in. No go. I thought if I started the panel on the part with no fray then I could maybe work the rest in. Didn't quite work out that way. I know mine is much harder due to the fraying, but I still can't imagine how difficult this would be even with the fraying.

Anyway, I wonder if I need to get a new door panel?

Also, when I removed the door panel the items fell out on the ground and I can't quite seem to figure out where they go. They seem to maybe go where the door handle mounts to the door, but I am not sure. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Thats te retaining clip for the door handle. if you pulled off the panel you will see where te handle is it goes there

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats te retaining clip for the door handle. if you pulled off the panel you will see where te handle is it goes there
I already pulled off the panel. Those pieces fell off when I pulled the panel. I tried to match it up to the door handle (thinking it was the most likely place for the parts), but couldn't figure out how they went on.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I already pulled off the panel. Those pieces fell off when I pulled the panel. I tried to match it up to the door handle (thinking it was the most likely place for the parts), but couldn't figure out how they went on.
on the back of the door card where the handle goes through the door, that piece clips onto the part that comes trough the door. its a retainer to prevent the door handle from separating from the door card when you pull the handle from the other side. not te same door card, but you can see what im talking about in this picture

1 - 9 of 9 Posts