SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have just read through many posts about speakers but I have created a new one as I have a different problem. Apologies if it has already been covered.

The problem: The front left door speaker (Passenger side) sounds blown.
There is "some" definition coming through but way too much bass / overdrive.

Upon replacing with a new JBL 2ohm 6.5inch GT0928 speaker - the problem persists.

I have a stock head unit and stock amplifier under the passenger seat with no known changes / issues from the previous owner. No changes to the audio system have been carried out - no CD stacker or AUX additions either.

I have no electrical knowledge - but I will add that both wires lighted up my connection detector showing both are running power? This must be wrong? (just lights if power is present - no voltmeter).

The speaker mounting is stock and does not rattle.

The too much bass / overdrive (blown) sound is present all through the volume range, but only to that speaker.

Upon putting the stock speaker on a small 2 x AA battery tester - it pops and doesn't appear to be blown.

The car is a 2003 9-3 2.0T Arc.

Any help / diagnosis would be great!

I do plan to take it to a dealer - but I just wanted to learn and find out if there is something I can do also!

·
Super Moderator
20,259 Posts
And don't take it into the dealer unless you want to get raped. By a refurbished or used one. Try goldwingsaab or the classifieds here.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey all,

I have just read through many posts about speakers but I have created a new one as I have a different problem. Apologies if it has already been covered.

The problem: The front left door speaker (Passenger side) sounds blown.
There is "some" definition coming through but way too much bass / overdrive.

Upon replacing with a new JBL 2ohm 6.5inch GT0928 speaker - the problem persists.

I have a stock head unit and stock amplifier under the passenger seat with no known changes / issues from the previous owner. No changes to the audio system have been carried out - no CD stacker or AUX additions either.

I have no electrical knowledge - but I will add that both wires lighted up my connection detector showing both are running power? This must be wrong? (just lights if power is present - no voltmeter).

The speaker mounting is stock and does not rattle.

The too much bass / overdrive (blown) sound is present all through the volume range, but only to that speaker.

Upon putting the stock speaker on a small 2 x AA battery tester - it pops and doesn't appear to be blown.

The car is a 2003 9-3 2.0T Arc.

Any help / diagnosis would be great!

I do plan to take it to a dealer - but I just wanted to learn and find out if there is something I can do also!
Amp 1 under the driver seat seems to have bitten the dust. Try searching for a used one because if you go to the dealer bend over.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
And don't take it into the dealer unless you want to get raped. By a refurbished or used one. Try goldwingsaab or the classifieds here.
Hey Diggs, I think it's great that you and Aerojon are only 20 posts apart on how many posts each of you have done since being a member. Lol. 4,563 & 4,583. ;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Hey thanks for the replies - I'll definitely take that advice and check out a new amp1.

I will need to take the seat off with whatever huge Torx drivers are needed. I've got the WIS and will check it out.

·
Super Moderator
20,259 Posts
Hey Diggs, I think it's great that you and Aerojon are only 20 posts apart on how many posts each of you have done since being a member. Lol. 4,563 & 4,583. ;-)
20 eh? i better get posting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies - I'll definitely take that advice and check out a new amp1.

I will need to take the seat off with whatever huge Torx drivers are needed. I've got the WIS and will check it out.
You dont need to really take the seat out. You can just raise the seat to max height and move it all the way forward. If you remove the seat while battery is plugged in you will have to take the car to get the srs light cleared.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
How does the JBL sound in the other door? I have had my eye on them for a while as drop in replacements for the door speakers.....

Sean

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How does the JBL sound in the other door?
I have not been able to rescue the amp1 yet Sean, but the fitment is perfect, no need to modify anything. I have rotated the speaker as the capacitor needs a little extra room in the bracket - and simply turning it allows it to find room.

Hopefully - I can test it out soon and check if the sound is good!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Duh! Just realized I posted links to the same guy! At least the ebay listing is more complete in telling you what they do....

Sean

1 - 13 of 13 Posts