SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure the proper name for it, so I'll just call it the "door speaker housing thingie." There's a picture attached to show what I'm talking about...

I'm upgrading all of my car's speakers. For the doors, is there any compelling reason not to put my new 6.5" speakers into the housing thingie? I'd have to Dremel out the ribs that are currently there (the flange on my speakers is slightly larger than the OEM flange), but the screw hole locations match up, and it would bring my speakers closer to the interior of the vehicle (rather than set back almost 1.5" without the housing thingie.

Tangential: I'm guessing the original purpose of the housing thingie is to protect against water ingress through the window trim seal? I didn't notice any water ingress into my doors, but is this a higher concern for some reason on these cars? I'm going to install component speakers, so I'll have a crossover tucked somewhere in the door. I want to be smart about where I put it.

Thanks, all!

Pic of housing thingie with speaker inside:

Pic of housing thingie with speaker removed:

·
Super Moderator
11,182 Posts
That speaker basket serves multiple purposes. One very important purpose is to space the speaker in toward the passenger compartment and away from the window inside the door. If your aftermarket speakers are of the shallow mounting depth kind, you may be able to get away with mounting them to the sheet metal that is part of the door assembly. But if they are not shallow mount speakers, you will probably find that you require the basket, which also serves as a spacer, to get adequate clearance between the window (in the down position) and the magnet structure in the back of the speaker.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts