SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I gotta try this someday, but I might want to wait because if i'm taking apart the door i want to work on my lock as well. my door lock is like "broken"

·
Registered
253 Posts
BTW:

Is there a "plug n' play" aftermarket door speakers for our cars? I dont have premium sound, are the stock speakers pretty crappy?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I cant help you with the lock as i have not had to attack that yet (but i can guarantee it'll be awkward as hell!)

Door speakers wise, doesnt matter if you have premium sound or not, you just need to the 7 speaker system as a minimum as the 4 speakers ones dont actually have any door speakers...which sucks.

You need 2ohm speakers, which makes your choice quite limited as very few companies seem to make them, myself and many others have fitted infinitys (i cannot remeber the mkodel number but do a search as you need quite a slim model as otherwise the door glass catches when the window goes down although some speaker spacers may sort that if there is room behind the door card)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I cant help you with the lock as i have not had to attack that yet (but i can guarantee it'll be awkward as hell!)

Door speakers wise, doesnt matter if you have premium sound or not, you just need to the 7 speaker system as a minimum as the 4 speakers ones dont actually have any door speakers...which sucks.

You need 2ohm speakers, which makes your choice quite limited as very few companies seem to make them, myself and many others have fitted infinitys (i cannot remeber the mkodel number but do a search as you need quite a slim model as otherwise the door glass catches when the window goes down although some speaker spacers may sort that if there is room behind the door card)

Thanks for the write up too btw! It's great!

You have inspired me to dynamat my car now lol. But i did some reading on it for the last hr, and they are still pricey here in the states. I'm gonna start with the doors, but I probably gonna do the trunk. I need to do more research and hopefully i can do the roof, and floor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Lol, I did this mod today.

I cut opened one of my old pillow and used the "foam" inside it. I just opened the panel (didn't even unhook wires) and stuffed the lock area, and empty space + space near speaker w/ it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did mine last weekend, easy to get the door cards off, £39 for the dynamat from ebay, enough to do 2 doors and the B pillar with a sheet left over.

Makes such a difference, make sure you do the window switches as well, doesnt rattle when i turn the bass up now

Cheers PaulOliver for a great how to

·
Registered
227 Posts
I tried to did my too, but sounds still persist.
Then I removed the door panel and drove the car out for a short ride and discovered the sound doesn't come from the panel.
It is from the gap between the left dash and the "A" pillar.

Gonna insert a cut off sponge to get rid the rubbing noise

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Me again :)
Fairly easy to do and only cost me 12 pounds (8 for sound deadening material, 3 pounds for washers and a quid for the sealing tape).
For windows control rattle I bought some M4 12mm washers, fit perfectly and they were the thinnest I could find. As others declared before, driver's side wasn't as bad as passengers, so for passenger side I've used 2 washers for each side of the button and for driver's - 1 washer per button. There is a problem though - I could not remove the pastic from windows childlock button and it was the most loose one ;oops:

As it got darker than I was expecting, panels still sitting in my boot, going to put everything back together tomorrow. Hope to get my BA SE35 tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I should have looked here before I took my doors apart... I found my rattle coming from the plastic bit of trim that goes over the window. I just took some Scotts blue shop towels and rolled them up and stuffed them behind.
It wasn't until afterwards that I noticed there was still a rattle but quieter. Its from my passenger window switch of course. I guess I'll be digging through the junk drawer in my toolbox to find some thin washers soon.
Thanks for the info everyone!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Glad people are still using this! My car has been rattle free since doing it :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I tried to did my too, but sounds still persist.
Then I removed the door panel and drove the car out for a short ride and discovered the sound doesn't come from the panel.
It is from the gap between the left dash and the "A" pillar.

Gonna insert a cut off sponge to get rid the rubbing noise
Sorry to revive but I too have a rattle coming from near the A pillar. I only noticed it after I put new Polks in the dash, so I assumed it was coming from them. I've been looking for months and can't find the culprit! Where exactly did you solve the problem?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts