SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the tilt down function on the door mirrors by just changing the switch? The auto folding option seems to require extra servo's, I'll let that go, but will the mirrors tilt down after installing the switch or is any additional hardware/techII programming needed?

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You mean the function where the passenger side mirror tilts downward when you shift into reverse? I'd also be interested in this...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've read that this (automatically pointing mirrors down when shifting into reverse) can be set via TECH II but unfortunately I don't know any more than that. I recently picked up a Saab mechanics manual that goes over TECH II options as well as locations and part numbers for most if not all of the car and wiring diagrams... haven't had much time to look over it though...

·
Registered
759 Posts
As far as I can tell from my owner's manual, this feature does not automatically tilt down in reverse. You have to reach over and push the button on the mirror control pad for it to tilt them down. Then when you shift out of reverse, the mirrors automatically normalize.

Would definitely require a different keypad, then probably a TechII install.

·
Registered
615 Posts
He're a question. Do you have seat/mirrors memory ? If so, you could set M1 setting for you driving. Then, while keeping the seat as is, tilt the mirrors down to where you want them, and save the setting in M2. This way, you wouldn't need to retrofit anything.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I've got the manual seats. Wouldn't bother to push a button though. I'll find some time to see if the wire harness for the keypad is already there, if so, I'll order the button and see if it works.

·
Registered
615 Posts
gfgf said:
Wouldn't bother to push a button though.
I have the button in my MY2006 93SS Aero. I tilts only the RHS mirror, and only when you press it. I don't know if it can be set, via Tech II,to activate automatically when you throw it in reverse, but I don't remember it being an option when I was first customizing my car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This would be another cool 'gadget'. Keep us posted, I couldn't find any extra information on this, so you are the first to try!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Of all the things I do not have on our 07 9-3, I would not miss the auto tilting mirror.
I find them annoying as all get out.
I have on occassion driven a few BMWs with the auto tilt mirror, and I feel you only see the curb and miss the objects higher, you know the ones that will do body damage instead of scraping a tire.
I was witness to one of the best drivers I know, a race car instructor back the track's
M5 into a guard rail. I blamed it on the tilt mirror. He had the back-up sensor off. He was looking down at the asphault on the passenger side of the car, but could not see the rail sticking out.

When I get in those cars and back up, I turn that feature off.

I would like auto up windows though.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have park assist, and it kicks in every time I throw it in reverse. However, I've only needed to use the mirror tilt feature when I parallel park.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
monsaab said:
When I get in those cars and back up, I turn that feature off.

I would like auto up windows though.
I've got the auto up and comfort close windows, but since I mostly park along a canal (30 cm from the water) in our typical dutch town, a good view on the wheels is essential. According to the manual, the tilt down needs a push on a button but the mirror tilts up after driving a few meters forward, sounds perfect to me.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
759 Posts
According to my WIS DVD, the auto-tilt mirror system operates via the circuitry for the power seat memory. So if your car does not have power seats with memory, adding the mirror feature may not be feasible b/c you'll have to add the power seat memory system. The system uses a preset down angle of a few degrees for the mirrors from the memory postion of the mirror.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took out the mirror keypad yesterday and opened it. It's practically a resistor array with the fold and tilt-down buttons already on the pcb. So I pressed the key but, as expected, nothing happened. Additional hard/software required, it seems.

Case closed!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts