SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason, my drivers door latch works perfectly from the inside. But when I use the exterior door handle it catches when opening. I took the door panel apart, but it appears there is a piece missing which prevents the outer handle to fully trip the final gizmo. Also, the door lock was missing the clip which I found inside the door!

Any ideas?
:roll:

Stuart

·
Registered
104 Posts
For some reason, my drivers door latch works perfectly from the inside. But when I use the exterior door handle it catches when opening. I took the door panel apart, but it appears there is a piece missing which prevents the outer handle to fully trip the final gizmo.
Mine has this problem - if you look more closely, you'll see the missing part has snapped off ! There's a hook inside the handle that should pull the mechanism, but with the other part snapped off, the hook just moves freely.
If you want to fix it, you'll need to weld on a new chunk of steel for the handle to hook...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda figured something snapped over time. Is there a handle part I can buy? Or is it j-b weld rig it time?

Stuart

·
Registered
104 Posts
I kinda figured something snapped over time. Is there a handle part I can buy? Or is it j-b weld rig it time?
People sell the door handles regularly on eBay - but on mine, the handle is fine. The bit that snapped off is part of the internal door mechanism - and even if you found the part, I think replacing it would be a major undertaking !
Have a look at the handle below - the bit that's broken, is the bit of the door mechanism that connects to the "hook" where the red arrow points !

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
that piece is cast, so difficult to weld/and in situ, a replacement is easiest, I took some pics of the internal parts for you to show possibilities of what could be broke, but you did'nt em.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see what you mean. However, that part is still intact! It simply fails to reach far enough to trip the ejection lever. I tried wrapping it to give it more clearance, but space is very limited. I really hate removing the entire latch assembly, but it has to be done!

Stu

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Question ? ? ?

Are the drivers & Passenger handles reversible ?? I would rather have a gently used passenger site part rather than an old drivers side handle that's been used a million times!

Stuart

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
obviously you don't want the pics of the mechanism inside the door, you might have another bit damaged/worn or broken:confused:

there is a similar bit on the lock mechansim that the hadle links up to,that is adjustable, if this comes undone then you will have no operation from the handle wether you use another or not

·
Registered
436 Posts
Door handle

16Saabs, can you please post the pictures of the internals and not the part that breaks? I still can get handle parts and would like to know which parts are weak. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
if I knew how I would, I don't so I can't hence the PM re my em address,I have put it on SC forums many times so if you want it on this page I will
[email protected] em it for the pics, what's the problem, I'm trying to help here, use someone else's em add if you think I sell other peoples em's add's etc or something ???? I would'nt have been able to contibute 4k + times on SC if I was a problem, I took time to cut the door to bits, to take the photo's for you, so you can see exactly what might be your prob If you can't be bothered to em for some reason fine, my locks work ok and have the spares lol, pics are here if when you want them, or anyone else for that

·
Registered
104 Posts
The bit that has broken on mine is here - so when I pull the door handle from outside the car, the "hook" has nothing to pull on ! The mechanism still works fine opening the door from inside the car...
For what it's worth, I do have the bit that snapped off - I found it flapping around inside the bottom of the door :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts