SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post and new to Saabs. Working with a 1996 Saab 9000 turbo. The key in the driver door goes into the key slot in the handle but will not turn at all. The passenger side works fine. Is this a normal problem? All fuses seem to be fine. Thank you.

·
Registered
410 Posts
door

hi. if the key won't turn in the barrel to unlock the door then a couple of scenarios. the pins/wafers in the barrel are completely frozen or the levers inside the door operating the latch are severely jammed. whatever reason you have only one alternative.take off the door trim and examine the mechanism from the inside out.(i would do this anyway!!) although you could try spraying crc, wd40 or similar into the barrel and working the key in and out of the barrel, this may ease the pins/wafers and then the key might turn.this may take longer than disassembling the door panels and checking the levers.good luck. love that car.cheers

·
Registered
469 Posts
Happened a few times to me. I just twisted really hard and it opened. I don't suggest doing this though. Definitely mechanical and not and an electrical issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
no wd or other sprays it'll only collect more dirt try graphite.Don't force it. if it doesn't work take the panel off and make sure nothings binding. remove actuator rod from cylinder and try to turn key if it still doesn't work replace the lock cylinder

·
Registered
410 Posts
door

hi.yes jw.roberts-you are quite correct.. wd40,crc and the like including penetrene will cause dirt to collect in the pins/wafers but here we are trying to free up the barrel.washing out later with white spirits or metholated spirits -not near a naked flame-highly explosive--will be a way of getting the barrel free and clean---then add the graphite powder to lubricate.the other alternative is to remove the door trim and then remove the door handle complete with barrel-also checking the levers are free to move on their axes and soak it in a jam tin this is my preferred method -- if you have the time!!!! by the way often locksmiths will use a spray to free up then use another spray which is designed for use in lock barrels-it has a proportion of graphite mixed in solution then adding graphite powder as well. love that car.cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the helpful replies. I took the panel off and it seems everything works when the handle and lock cylinder are removed. I will try the graphite spray, thanks.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
WD40 won't collect dirt. WD40 is OK to use for cleaning a lock, though it is stinky. However WD40 is NOT a lubricant and will strip off any lubricant in the lock. Always use dry graphite powder or graphite powder in an alcohol based carrier to lubricate locks. Do not use oil in a lock as it just allows abrasive dirt to accumulate inside the lock causing wear. You cannot keep dirt out of a lock as the key transfers a bit of dirt every time you use it.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
no wd or other sprays it'll only collect more dirt try graphite.Don't force it. if it doesn't work take the panel off and make sure nothings binding. remove actuator rod from cylinder and try to turn key if it still doesn't work replace the lock cylinder
I use this LockEase;ol; on all the many cylinders...for 50 years now...good PM...What I do not understand is why everyone does not do this........:x:(:cry::confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts