SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of us know, trade in values from dealers are not kind to Saabs. I just plugged my cars into Carvana’s offer tool and it was so humorous I had to share:

• 2007 9-3 60th Anniversary auto sedan - $200
  • 2007 9-5 SportCombi 5-speed - $208
  • 1995 900 S Convertible - $235
What hilariously low offers can you all get from Carvana?

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
Wow! That really is insane...! I think it’s funny that they decided your ‘07 9-5 was worth $208...not $200, or $250, but $208. Can’t make that up.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
But I mean... what are they going to do with that car? They can't sell it to a consumer, so it's either going to be crushed or sold at auction to a BH/PH dealer. I wouldn't expect to "sell" a 10 year old car to a dealer of any type.

·
Super Moderator
1,529 Posts
But I mean... what are they going to do with that car? They can't sell it to a consumer, so it's either going to be crushed or sold at auction to a BH/PH dealer. I wouldn't expect to "sell" a 10 year old car to a dealer of any type.
Totally agree. But I just got a kick out of the $208 offer.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
I looked at Carvana when I was buying a used car. Prices were 25% too high for what they were selling and they do NOT negotiate. They market the "you don't need to play the bargaining game" byline... but they are charging way too much for the cars. LOL. It's only a good deal for them. I don't know how they stay in business - You can pay less at a dealer without negotiation.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I had that discussion with my father a few weeks ago. Carvana has some good elements to it - free 7 day test drive is pretty cool, free 100-day warranty is pretty cool. If you want a specific thing ("silver 2017 Camry" I'd wager) and you don't know much about cars and you hate "car shopping" that's a really good setup. Since most people buy cars based "monthly payment" they probably don't care if the car is +X%, all they care about it getting that new car for $Y/mo and putting on minimal effort. My father hates car shopping, he hates negotiating with people - I feel that perceives the "need" to negotiate as a weakness and would prefer to swoop in, drop cash, and motor on. Carvana is potentially great for him since he just tells someone what he wants and it shows up with little to no risk to him.

My position is that I am comfortable evaluating the condition of a car, and comfortable determining where that price:performance number should be - I don't need Carvana's guarantees. Also, I just don't make enough money to pay someone thousands of dollars for work I could do over a weekend or two.

Carvana is the natural evolution of CarMax - it takes driving to CarMax out of the equation which is, you know, a big time saver. :p I still perceive value in CarMax in that if you're not quite sure what you want you can roll into a CarMax and drive every midsize silver sedan made in the last five years in one place. But, I think most people either already know what they want (a silver Camry) or don't care (and will buy a silver Camry)… so we're back to Carvana.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I will add... this is only a moment in time. We're clearly moving to "car as a service" and IME that move will accelerate as EVs gain adoption (which they are demonstrably doing). We'll definitely hit that time - I'll say in the next 10 years - where everyone just writes a $500/mo check for Car and every so often Manufacturer updates it with something new.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hate me for this, but I bought a 2016 VW jetta 1.4T SE with 30k miles for $13k about 2 years ago from Carvana. Their cars are in fantastic condition and you can choose your monthly payment rates. If you have good credit and can find a well-priced car, Carvana is great. They delivered the car to me, all I had to do is sign the paper. They also have 7-day free returns, so if you don't like it, return it in 7 days, no fees.
Much prefered over going to the dealer and not knowing what they do/say behind the doors. They have Saab occasionally, mainly the newer 9-3s and the NG9-5's.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Much prefered over going to the dealer and not knowing what they do/say behind the doors.
Oh, I could tell you: used to be my job to understand what they did. FWIW, mostly they talk about the baseball game and what they're doing this weekend... make you wait at the salesman's desk and stew a little bit... then, after about 12 seconds of thought on the real matter at hand, the Sales Manager says "Get at least this much" :- )

·
Registered
153 Posts
hate me for this, but I bought a 2016 VW jetta 1.4T SE with 30k miles for $13k about 2 years ago from Carvana. Their cars are in fantastic condition and you can choose your monthly payment rates. If you have good credit and can find a well-priced car, Carvana is great. They delivered the car to me, all I had to do is sign the paper. They also have 7-day free returns, so if you don't like it, return it in 7 days, no fees.
Much prefered over going to the dealer and not knowing what they do/say behind the doors. They have Saab occasionally, mainly the newer 9-3s and the NG9-5's.
I stopped by the VW dealer in Nov 17,. Looked at a new 2017 1.4 Jetta. End of year pricing was $14,500 and that was prior to negotiation. You may have been better off by going to the dealer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts