SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing chain is at 19mm, so it needs to be done. How do I know if the balance chain section needs work? The idler pulley seems to have a little play in it, but everything else seems tight. How should I handle this?

Are the Pro-parts timing area items acceptable? There doesn't seem to be a lot of choice for some of them. Also, is there any need to replace the tensioner on either the timing or balance chains? Do they wear?

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Buy the Saab timing kit, part number 93184480. It includes all of the guides, both chains, the balance chain tensioner, and a bunch of other stuff, and they're all genuine Saab parts. A local Saab shop told me that they rotate the balance chain idler shaft because it only wears on one area. Between doing that and replacing the idler sprocket, which is also included in the kit, that should fix your slack. The one thing that's not included is the idler sprocket bolt. I always end up chewing that up when trying to get it off.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
I've used that kit twice, and it's great. Check to make sure the valve cover gasket is soft, though. The last kit I got had an old valve cover gasket, and it leaked oil pretty badly. I remember it being fairly hard compared to an Elring gasket I had on hand, but figured that was just the material Saab used. Nope! It was bad.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Which of your Saabs are you doing? Did you consider balance shaft & chain delete?

I may end up kicking myself (and then pulling the engine again) - but I pulled the shafts and deleted the chain on my viggen. I tend to have either a short drive to work or a long drive on a highway so we'll see how annoying the vibration is. I still have to update my prior post with a pic of the balance shaft idler sprocket that fell apart on viggen engine one. It definitely played into my decision to at least try the delete on a B235.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
DO NOT use an aftermarket timing chain tensioner ever. I installed one during a timing job and it nearly destroyed the engine in less than 5 miles. I reused the original tensioner and it's doing fine. 225k+ and 25k after the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts