SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been working to diagnose this problem and already have a couple of threads. Everyone has been very helpful so far, and I feel like I'm getting closer to having the problem fixed. The car is a '96 900S 2.3 non-turbo with 129K miles.

Symptoms:
Car was idling in the garage, stumbled and died (all within about 1-2 seconds).
As the car died, the red <!> triangle came on and the chime sounded.
Car will not restart, and the red <!> triangle stays lit on the dash.
It has never done any of this before.

Today (two days later), I cranked the car for about 10 seconds and the tach didn't move.
I could not hear the fuel pump before cranking the car, and it was too loud in the garage to hear it while I was turning the key.
After cranking, I pulled one of the plugs. It was very slightly wet and smelled like gas.

I have not tested a plug to see if I get spark yet. Otherwise, does this problem sound like the CPS?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
OK, I have been working to diagnose this problem and already have a couple of threads. Everyone has been very helpful so far, and I feel like I'm getting closer to having the problem fixed. The car is a '96 900S 2.3 non-turbo with 129K miles.

Symptoms:
Car was idling in the garage, stumbled and died (all within about 1-2 seconds).
As the car died, the red <!> triangle came on and the chime sounded.
Car will not restart, and the red <!> triangle stays lit on the dash.
It has never done any of this before.

Today (two days later), I cranked the car for about 10 seconds and the tach didn't move.
I could not hear the fuel pump before cranking the car, and it was too loud in the garage to hear it while I was turning the key.
After cranking, I pulled one of the plugs. It was very slightly wet and smelled like gas.

I have not tested a plug to see if I get spark yet. Otherwise, does this problem sound like the CPS?
Please do check for spark.
I suspect the CPS, aka the tachometer sensor...If the CPS does not function, you will have no fuel, no spark.
And after all this time, all this discussion, I am still not positive(I'm no longer in the field, having retired years ago).
I'd feel better if the plugs were saturated with fuel, or, a pressure reading at the rail was good... I think I am the type who needs "double facts"...to know the truth..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please do check for spark.
I suspect the CPS, aka the tachometer sensor...If the CPS does not function, you will have no fuel, no spark.
And after all this time, all this discussion, I am still not positive(I'm no longer in the field, having retired years ago).
I'd feel better if the plugs were saturated with fuel, or, a pressure reading at the rail was good... I think I am the type who needs "double facts"...to know the truth..
You have been incredibly helpful, and I definitely owe you a debt of gratitude. I'll test for spark tonight; if I don't get one, should I go ahead and order a new CPS from eEuroParts?

If I do get spark, then it's sounding like either the fuel pump (I hope not) or the fuel pump relay, right?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would also turn the ignition to ON and check to see if all the instrument cluster lights are lit. You might need your owners manual for a description of all the lights. I would just like to know why the Red Triangle is lit and nothing else is. I would especially check the Oil light and Volts light to make sure that both light in the ON position. Otherwise, you may have low oil pressure or low voltage and not know it... Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would also turn the ignition to ON and check to see if all the instrument cluster lights are lit. You might need your owners manual for a description of all the lights. I would just like to know why the Red Triangle is lit and nothing else is. I would especially check the Oil light and Volts light to make sure that both light in the ON position. Otherwise, you may have low oil pressure or low voltage and not know it... Ron
Ron, thanks for the recommendation. Actually, all of the lights come on when I first turn the key. After a few seconds, all of the lights go off except for (if I remember correctly), the red triangle and the "Check Engine" light. The CEL has been on since I bought the car, and a mechanic said it was indicating a misfire on cylinder three.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I'm feeling frustrated... after being so sure it was the CPS, I pulled a plug tonight and tested it. The plug was damp (not wet) and smelled like gas. Sure enough, though, I got spark.

Now what? Any recommendations on what to check next?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I would invest in a can of starting fluid. Spray some into the throttle body - if the car starts for a few seconds, it's probably the fuel pump. If it is the fuel pump, consider youself lucky that it failed in the garage. That's where mine failed. many pumps fail between 125-k and 150-k miles... Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would invest in a can of starting fluid. Spray some into the throttle body - if the car starts for a few seconds, it's probably the fuel pump. If it is the fuel pump, consider youself lucky that it failed in the garage. That's where mine failed. many pumps fail between 125-k and 150-k miles... Ron
Thanks for the pointer; I'll stop by the auto parts store tomorrow and pick some up. My father in law is coming over this weekend, so we may spray the fluid then spend some time trying to access the pump. My garage is a little tight on space, so I may end up taking it to a mechanic anyway.

If the fuel pump went, would that cause the red <!> triangle to come on?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Thanks for the pointer; I'll stop by the auto parts store tomorrow and pick some up. My father in law is coming over this weekend, so we may spray the fluid then spend some time trying to access the pump. My garage is a little tight on space, so I may end up taking it to a mechanic anyway.

If the fuel pump went, would that cause the red <!> triangle to come on?
Buy a CPS whether its bad or not. These things should be replaced every 60k period.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
With the ignition set to ON, but the engine not running, the Triangle, Battery, Oil Pressure and Check Engine all light in my car. I left it On for around 45 seconds, and these four indicators remained lit.

One thing that always bothered me is that as soon as I crank the engine (engine not started yet) the CEL goes out. I would have expected it to go out After the engine started... Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found the problem... we (my father in law, my next door neighbor who is a diesel mechanic and I) spent several hours diagnosing the Saab this weekend. We ultimately found that the fuel pump has died. :( We are certain that the fuel pump is the issue, because we took the fuel filter out (replaced it while we were down there) and put 12v directly to the pump... nothing.

I emailed my mechanic yesterday for a quote. There are some VERY good DIY instructions on this site, but I don't trust my own abilities to do it and not break anything.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Found the problem... we (my father in law, my next door neighbor who is a diesel mechanic and I) spent several hours diagnosing the Saab this weekend. We ultimately found that the fuel pump has died. :( We are certain that the fuel pump is the issue, because we took the fuel filter out (replaced it while we were down there) and put 12v directly to the pump... nothing.

I emailed my mechanic yesterday for a quote. There are some VERY good DIY instructions on this site, but I don't trust my own abilities to do it and not break anything.
Get a piece of 2x4, pull the back seat and have someone turn the key. Put the end 2x4 on the tank next to the pump. While it's turning over smack the 2x4 with some force and see if it starts working. I have seen this work MANY times around here and may just get you rolling again until you get the new pump shipped in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts