SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the KPH cluster looks too plain. I really think the US cluster with the small KPH readings makes a big difference. I tried to turn off the KPH markers via the profile. I didn't like the look, so I went back to the way it was.

·
Registered
895 Posts
the only thing missing in the cluster is MILES! 8? boy oh boy, to see that again!

i personally turn off my KPH, its just my preference.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I don't mind missing the MPH markers.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
i definetly think it looks too plain, and for that reason i keep both the mph and kmh lit on my dash because if i only have the mph lit i also think it looks too plain

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well yeah it's plain but clean and simple. ;) Problem is that in the euro version of the cluster you can't switch the mph scale on. There is simply none!! In europe (if the country messures in kmh) the speedo only has the km/h scale and no on or off switchable mph scale. You can change the units in the SID but that's it. I would like to have the chance to switch an mph scale on or off so that I know how fast I am when driving for instance in england. This way you allways have to calculate and drive by feeling. :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
Definitely uncluttered but, also no character.
Boring in fact.
Such a great looking wheel and such a boring display.
Still it wouldn't stop me from buying what I think is a great car.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I too have the smaller KPH and would prefer the cleaner look of the KPH only... go figure.

From the aircraft heritage: simple, functional, beautiful.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Stormbird1 said:
Let's not go overboard on the aircraft heritage and Saab.
The only thing the Saab (car) has in common with some aircraft is the Night Panel.
As for simple, functional, beautiful....
http://www.globaldefence.net/deutsch/spezial/bilder/gripen12.jpg
I beg to differ:

• The dash is straight up and down, versus a rolling curve from the base of the windshield down to the stereo.
  • The dash is in functionally basic black with high visibility green lighting.
  • The instrument panel is simple, direct, very visible, functional. No bling, chrome, or Star Trek on the SAAB.
  • The SID is a lot like a HUD. SAABs keep you looking at the road with the most adjusted instrument: the stereo, nearest to eye level.
  • The driver sits very high in the cabin. Ever notice looking through the drivers window of another car that you see head and neck? In the SAAB, you see much of the upper torso. This provides a much better field of view.
  • Overall, I think if you view a standard instrumented ****pit, versus the ultra-modern all glass ****pit with HUD and you will better see the correlation.
I work in aerospace, including with some of St Louis' finest fighter programs and I feel the heritage and the sensibility in the SAAB...:D

looks like our message board technology has gone awry! I surely can call a ****pit a ****pit without a bunch of astericks!!

Indeed, to quote the "Dictionary of Automotive" terms:
****pit: The area, usually in racing cars, in which the driver sits and the instruments in front of him.

On the lighter side: surely this software was not written by an alumnus of the University of South Carolina!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Finwake,

I agree with a lot of what you have to say as regards the dash being functional. It's one of the things I like most about my 9-5. I hate all the liitle buttons you find on so many cars these days.
Volvo are also very good at dash-boards. If anything, especially with the integrated phone option and pop up navigation screen I think their's is probably even better than Saabs,
Oh, the Saab fighter aircraft are also powered by Volvo engines. Go figure. :eek:

·
Registered
749 Posts
DIM said:
where did you get that steering from???
That's the new Aero wheel for the Sport Combi, have a look at saab.com and you will see a couple of shots from the interior.

Stormbird1 said:
Oh, the Saab fighter aircraft are also powered by Volvo engines. Go figure. :eek:
Volvo also does the rocket engines for the Ariane series. Saab does the internals and the system that adjusts the "throttle" for the rockets...some people say that they are using the same chip setup for the rockets as they have in the T8 but I am not to sure about that.

More info here
http://www.space.se
http://www.volvo.com/volvoaero/global/en-gb/products/space+propulsion+subsystems/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts