SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 9-3, I recently noticed that a hose was cracked in my PCV system. I have heard a lot about the PCV updates.

Does the update really improve anything?

I am religious about 3k oil changes. I drop the oil pan, clean the strainer, and check o rings once a year. I also test the check valve by blowing into it at every other oil change. and I am not having any real issues, more curious than anything.

If the update doesn't really change anything, I am going to replace the single hose.

I guess, I am skeptical that the trap system could really make that much of a difference...

Anyone have input/opinions?

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Saab when through six engineering revisions to get to a PCV update that they thought would solve the sludge problem. Seems like they worked pretty hard at it and spent hundreds of thousand of dollars, if not millions, on getting it fixed. Sounds like they thought it was important.

Meanwhile, Saab paid to replace thousands of sludged engines... but only if you had records showing regular oil changes. What does that say?

For the cost of the kit, do it. FYI - annual sump cleanings are overkill, but whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Since you've done the checks without any issue, you can forget about the update. Not all cars have sludge problem. It depends on how you drive and what oil you use and what weather area. My 01 93 still has the old system, but I do have sludge problem when I checked last year. Not so serious. And after cleaning, I think you can drive for another 10 years. I did want to do the update, but it's not convenient in my place. Surely I believe the update is better for engine, but it's not a must. As long as you check and clean sludge in time(several years), you are safe. I also think the update can do another help in preventing oil leaks from engine, dure to better ventilation of the engine. Our turbo cars have higher pressure in the engine, causing more oil leakage. If pressure is released, it will help a lot. It's proven on my car, which leaked so serious and every place I stop the car, there're oil drips on floor. I have bought the rear main seal for replacement, but dure to complex procedure for replacing it, I hold the action, and figured out how to release pressure in engine and see if it improves. My discovery is briliant! I added some hose and filter on the pcv's main hose, and leakage stopped right away!! So, I'm running like that since on. It's my own update of pcv system. Works great, and very easy fix. I think I'll post another thread for others.

Anyway, update is a good thing, but not a must.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
^Agreed. Pulled the pan soon after acquiring my '00 Viggen, no update installed, and found the pan and pick-up were quite tidy. Still performed the update, cycled some AutoRX through her, and keep her on 5k mile Mobil 1 oil changes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I picked up a modified oil pan that has a removable cover over the oil pick up. So every oil change i open it up and see what is going on in my engine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts