SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 4 cyl.

When testing 2 DICs I get no spark. Does this lead to CPS exclusively?

I just changed the CPS with another unit that I believe was operational and no joy.

Background: Engine was running normally and operated for 50 miles that day with numerous stops. Started car to move in drive and it generated lots of white tail-pipe smoke. First time this happened. Next day no start, just turns over.

• new battery fully charged, disconnected neg a few times for reset.
  • all intake/turbo connections good including small hoses to Tbcvalve
  • checked all hoses around TB and vent tubes. Did find a ruptured/split hose from vent box to the valve cover - replaced.
  • changed MAF from another car
  • fuel pressure at rail is 37 - pump turns on with key. relay works
  • Compressions 170, 155,155,185
Thoughts appreciated. It seems something triggered the smoke which affect engine operating parameters and now no start. I'll try another CPS from another car.

Thoughts on TBody or ECU? Seems electronic.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed CPS from another car, tested DIC, still no spark. Check telematics and engine management fuses, swapped main engine mgmt relay to check - no spark.

Appreciate some thoughts.

·
Registered
744 Posts
check if you have a signal coming out of the CPS from the connector

if you have a scanner that can read live data see if there is an RPM reading.

Does the tach bounce at all when youre cranking

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply CB. Tach moves to about 100 rpm. I'll check my scanner and check power from 3 pin connector. I now have no codes showing. The 1312 self-erased.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks for the reply CB. Tach moves to about 100 rpm. I'll check my scanner and check power from 3 pin connector. I now have no codes showing. The 1312 self-erased.

typically if the tach moves then you have RPM signal from CPS to the ECU which should command the DIC to spark. Make sure the pins on the connector to the DIC are in there tight and not corroded.

If you have some noid lights see if the injectors pulse

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3 different CPS units - ohms 921, 917 & 929. Maybe these are all bad. I had read somewhere the ohms should be in the 580 range =/- 50. 2 came from other cars that were operating at the time. I just pulled the ECU to have a look to see if there is any discoloration inside.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still no spark

The WIC ohm parameters are 860 +/- 90 so all CPS units tested fit within this range. Tested spark on 3 DIC units with looped spark plug wires to ground and no spark. ECU connections were all clean - no burn marks anywhere.

Anyone know what to look at next that could be shutting off spark?

·
Registered
869 Posts
jcm, did you test the DIC with the spark plugs pointed down or up? WIS specifies the plugs need to be pointing down...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a bad ground connection near manifold. Thanks for the help. Gives additional meaning to the concept of checking everything more than twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have exactly the same symptoms

jcm,

I am having the same symptoms you describe, almost exactly. I have replaced the DI cassette, the CPS, checked the fuses, relays, hoses, etc., etc. Where and what type of ground was it? Did it ground the DI cassette? The ECU?

Before the car went completely dead of spark, it was weak and intermittent. Then became increasingly worse until nothing.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts